Seven

The next few days after the battle were calm, yet for Nightpaw, he had something else on his mind.
The moon was just setting and dawn wasn't far off when he heard a rustling at the entrance of the apprentice den.
Nightpaw stood up, following the tall, lean shape whose fur glimmered in the moonlight as if his pelt were white like a StarClan warrior's.
Nightpaw stayed crouched just inside the entrance, gazing at the cat as he just sat down and lifted his head up.
He could see the white puff of air escaping the cat's mouth as he murmured a few words, as if he were speaking to StarClan.
As the sun rose just above the ravine, Nightpaw could now see who was out there.
Keithpaw!
Nightpaw edged closer, trying to head what Keithpaw was saying. A twig snapped under Nightpaw's paw and now he had no choice but to show himself.
Nightpaw emerged from the den as if he had just woken up, stretching out each one of his legs in turn. "Good morning, Keithpaw." He greeted.
Keithpaw looked at Nightpaw for a moment before standing up and turning away without a single word.
"Nightpaw!" Envyclaw's familiar call sounded from the warriors den. The small tom bounded over to Nightpaw. "Today, you'll be training with Aidanheart and Keithpaw; Mottledstripe wanted me to watch his kits." He explained.
"Whitetail had her kits?" Nightpaw echoed. "Can I see them before I go?" He asked.
Envyclaw nodded.
Nightpaw thanked the small warrior before slipping away to the nursery. He poked his head in and called to Whitetail, receiving and welcome.
Nightpaw crawled in and sat down beside Whitetail. "They're beautiful!" He commented.
Whitetail reached up and licked in between Nightpaw's ears. "This one's Nettlekit." She flicked her tail to a grey she-kit. "This one is Treekit." She flicked her tail to a brown tom. "And this one is Wavekit." She licked in between the calico she-kit's ears as she squirmed about. "They should be opening their eyes soon." Whitetail stated.
"I can't wait to see the fine warriors they'll grow into."
Whitetail chuckled. "Go on; you have duties to do!" She nudged Nightpaw with her muzzle.
Nightpaw stood up and gave Whitetail an affectionate lick on her head. "Goodbye." He exited the den, greeted by Aidanheart walking towards the nursery.
"They're beautiful, aren't they?" Aidanheart asked.
Nightpaw nodded. The black tom needed the ground with his paws.
"What's the matter?" Aidanheart asked.
Nightpaw shook his head. "Keithpaw was acting weirdly this morning." He said, trouble by what could be bothering the older tom.
"The silent leaving camp?" Aidanheart asked. "He's never been one to speak, especially when he's tired." He flicked his tail on Nightpaw's shoulder. "He'll be fine." He reassured the apprentice.
Nightpaw flicked his gaze towards the gorse tunnel as it rustled.
Keithpaw rushed into the camp, his black fur sodden and carrying a brown bundle of blood and fur.
Nightpaw stood up, walking towards Keithpaw.
Keithpaw disregarded him, walking towards the medicine Cat den.
Honeyflower, Sunning her golden pelt, stood up and walked over to Keithpaw, taking the bundle from him and padding to the medicine Cat den.
Keithpaw sat down, still dripping with water. Many cats were peering out of their dens, murmuring to each other, questioning what was going on.
Nightpaw stalked up to Keithpaw and sat down beside him silently.
Keithpaw looked in shock. "I-I found him in th-the river." He mewed quietly. "He was just there."
Sympathy swept through Nightpaw. "But you saved him, he may of died if it weren't for you."
"But I was too late! Did you see what happened to his jaw?" Keithpaw went on.
"Honeyflower will take care of that."
"Do you think Snaggledad- I-I meant Snaggletooth will be okay with a kit in his den? You know what he's like!" Keithpaw pointed out.
"Keithpaw, he'll be fine." Nightpaw rested his tail on Keithpaw's shoulder before pulling it away, the white tip sticky with fresh blood. "You're bleeding!" He exclaimed. "Come on, you need to see Snaggletooth!"
Keithpaw twisted his head to see his shoulder wound. "I'll be fine." He insisted.
"Why are you so intent on doing everything alone?" Nightpaw asked.
Keithpaw shuffled his paws nervously. "I shut others out before they shut me out." He mumbled.
Echostar's grey and white pelt emerged from her den, followed by Envyclaw. "What is the meaning of this?" She demanded.
Honeyflower appeared from the medicine clearing. "Keithpaw found a kit; his soaked to the skin!" She called across the clearing to the leader. "If it weren't for him; the kit would have died!"
Palestripe padded up to Echostar and turned her gaze harshly to Keithpaw. "How did you find it?" She demanded.
"I was hunting in Sunning Rocks and I heard him wailing, his jaw had already been smashed." Keithpaw explained, standing up.
Palestripe flicked her tail with annoyance in how freely the apprentice spoke. "And you suggest who should nurse him?" She questioned.
Honeyflower spoke up. "Whitetail has already agreed to nurse him along with her kits."
Echostar flicked her tail. "Very well, the kit may stay." With that, she turned around and padded back into her den, flanked by Envyclaw and Palestripe.
Keithpaw turned away, not saying another word to Nightpaw.
Maybe he's going to see Whitetail. Nightpaw thought, desperately trying to get rid of the feeling that was nipping at Nightpaw. Maybe he could sleep it off?
Nightpaw whisked around and padded to the apprentice den. As he lay down in his nest and closed his eyes, he could feel something watching him, but pushed the thought away.

Nightpaw was in a lush, green forest, no sign of LeafBare anywhere. Something familiar hit his nostrils. Keithpaw? He felt something prodding him.
"Oh, Keithpaw, hi." Nightpaw greeted the older apprentice.
Keithpaw sat down. "One of Whitetail's kits is ill." He said softly, his head hanging.
"I'm sure it won't turn out the same as last time." Nightpaw reassured, brushing his tail against Keithpaw's shoulder.
"But that's the thing!" Keithpaw went on. "Whitetail isn't as young as she was then and has three other kits!"
Three? Nightpaw stared in confusion at Keithpaw for a moment.  The kit that Keithpaw found! "What did Whitetail name the kit?" He asked, trying to avoid the previous subject.
Keithpaw lifted his gaze to Nightpaw. "She wanted me to name him." He answered. "I named him Heatherkit."
"Nightpaw! Keithpaw!" Palestripe's furious hiss interrupted the two apprentices. "Stop gossiping like old elders; we're waiting to go to the Gathering because of you two!"
Nightpaw stared at Palestripe, obviously she hadn't told them.  He stood up and padded over to the gathered cats.
Keithpaw rolled his blue-grey eyes and padded after Nightpaw, falling in step beside him.
Echostar signaled with the flick of her tail for the grouped cats to begin. Nightpaw gazed around and saw Frostpaw and Icepaw were together. Echostar had only left Shadowpaw and Goldpaw to be the only apprentices in camp. That was strange to say the least.