Chapter 6 - where she meets the devil

A few days had passed after Maya dragged me town. Nothing much happened. Trevor was always at work but when he came home l cooked him dinner and we would talk and then go to bed. I spent my days baking anything l could think of. It kept me sane.

Trevor seemed to like my baked goods. He always ate them after dinner and he told me he looked forward to them every night. It warmed my heart a bit that he likes them. If I forget to serve him, he would always ask. It always brought a smile on my face.

Today was Friday and  l decided to go to the cafe l used to work and see my boss. It had been almost two month since l last set foot in there. She probably think lm dead or something. I had owned a car when l was in college but l sold it when things got tough. Trevor had given me permission to drive any of his cars if l needed to go anywhere.

I opened the garage door and came face to face with 12 expensive cars l only saw on Tv . I chose what looked like the least expensive one. It was definitely not a sports car, l didn't have a  death wish. I drove to the restaurant below the speed limit and then for the first time .l thought of my accident.l had tried by all means not to think about it but now that l was behind the wheel ,l couldn't avoid it.

Where was the person who hit me? Was it a hit and run? Did Trevor ever report it to the police? Was the person  caught and jailed? Question after question came running in my head. I made a mental note to ask Trevor when he gets home. I needed to know some of these things.

I arrived at the cafe in a few minutes less that an hour. I parked and then decided to enter through the back. I didn't feel like seeing Kyle.

" Maria?" As soon as she said it l knew who it was
"Mrs M" l went and then hugged her.
"Where had you been? We have been worried sick!" She said as she guided me to a chair. She was a nice lady . She was in her fifties , she cared for me l know but she just never had that motherly feeling that she would want to know everything.

" lm sorry Mrs M l didn't communicate but that day l broke up with Kyle l got into an accident "Oh my are you ok?" She sounded concerned
" yeah lm fine now,l went into a coma for a while but someone took care of me, lm now fine" l said

" oh that's good, and lm sorry about Kyle l wouldn't want to say l told you so but l did warn you about him"
Yes she had told me that she had a bad feeling about him.But me being me never listened. I thought he was the perfect thing until that day. I had craved for some affection and love that it all blinded me.We talked for a while about stuff and then someone opened the office door..

" Maria " It was more of a confirmation than anything else.
" Hey Lizzy" l said back
She looked shocked to see me. Her eyes we're wide and she was breathless.
"What are you doing here?" She asked
"Oh l came to say hie to all of you,l just disappeared for a while and thought maybe you were worried.l wanted to check in" l told her
" oh" she came to me and gave me a hug.

She was expecting me not to hug her back but l did.l had to be strong.l had to show her that l was stronger than they wanted me to be.
" so are you back to work or?" She asked
"Umm" before l could say anything  Mrs M said " Maria if you want your job back its yours hunny,you know you are welcome  here anytime"  anyone in sight could see that she didn't like the sound of that so l said
" no thank you but not now ..maybe later. I just wanted to see you all.l had missed you "

Mrs M smiled.After a while Lizzy broke the tension
"Wow you look good where are you staying?" She asked. I knew she was just bitter. I was wearing a simple yellow sundress that was tight on the bust and flared from the waist. It wasn't short but it wasn't long either,and some white sandals with gold trimmings.

I had my hair in a messy bun and no makeup except some lipgloss. To finish the look l had a Micheal Kors handbag. Anyone a mile away could see that my whole outfit cost more than some people's rent, even though it was simple.

Thanks to Maya who always dragged me shopping. And when I woke up from my coma, Trevor had filled the walk in closet with clothes, clothes that if I sold them, I could by a home and a car.

"Umm someone from the hospital took me in " l said trying not to give her any information.
" Are you like sleeping with him?" She asked again.She was really trying to piss me off. She didn't want to see someone else looking better than her.

"Lizzy leave the girl alone,she has had a hard time,you should be supportive and be thankful that someone in this nasty world has a kind enough heart to take care of her" she said.She really never liked Lizzy but she she tolerated her. She was also like me, an orphan and worked as a waitress but somehow she managed to live in a nice apartment,no doubt someone other than her is paying the rent.

" Oh l was just asking" she said with a tight smile.She went inside the restaurant for a second and then came back holding hands with Kyle.
" Babe l just wanted to tell you that Maria dropped by, since you we're here you could say hie" she said with an evil smirk.Kyle just stood there looking at me speechless.

Mrs M excused herself and went inside the restaurant and left us three in the office. I was the mature one so l stood up and said " hie Kyle "
It took him some seconds to register that l had spoke to him.
"Oh hie Maria, what's up ?" He asked casually. I was fighting the urge to cry inside.

How could he do this to me.Acting as if nothing evert happened,as if we never dated for 4 years,as if he never cheated on me with the person l called a friend. My only friend for that matter.

" nothing much, excuse me l have to go say bye to the boss" l bolted from the office in record time.l couldn't let them see my tears.l couldn't go to Mrs M right now, l will have to text her a message.
I reached my car and then started searching for my car keys. Just as l found them Kyle grabbed my hand.

"Hey ,what's the rush?" He asked me.l turned to face him slowly and l opened my eyes,tears that l had held back started flowing down my face.
"Kyle l don't want to talk to you right now ,let go of my hand l need to go" l told him through clenched teeth.

"I will let you go but where did you find this nice car huh?" He pointed to the Audi.
" that's non of your business,now let go" but he only held me tighter
" so now you are whoring around to get money? Who you sleeping with now huh? Who is buying you all this fancy stuff?" He asked point at my clothes

" Kyle let go of me right now and it's no if your business!!"
" NO! You are a slut! You have been cheating on me haven't you?"
"Don't be ridiculous!! Did you forget that l caught you fucking Lizzy ? In the back office !! " l practically shouted
" Now that you see that l look good you're trying to blame me? I thought lm not good in bed? If lm whoring around and someone managed to by me this car then that means lm pretty amazing!!! " l exhaled.l was now beyond pissed off.

"Now let go of my hand before l chop all your fingers off you and then shove them up your ass!!" He let go of me and l opened my door and then drive off leaving him standing there with a disbelieving look on his face.