Chapter 6 - Now

I set the cake in front of Taehyung, the candlelight dancing across his tanned skin. He smiles at me, my heart aching when his eyes turn into the all too familiar crescent moons. It seems like just yesterday I was like this with Jimin, him smiling at me as a piece of cake sat between us, his hand in mine as I told him how I felt for the first time.

I force a smile on my face, shoving thoughts of him out of my head. I couldn't be sad today, couldn't afford to be.

Today was Taehyung's day.

Jungkook, seated across from Taehyung, taps on the table as his voice carries through the kitchen, everyone eventually joining in to sing, "Happy birthday, dear Taehyung. Happy Birthday to you."

The kitchen goes silent, Taehyung just sitting as we all stare at him. A moment passes and he still hasn't blown out the candles. I crouch down next to him, "What's wrong, Tae? You don't wanna make a wish?"

"What if I wish and it doesn't come true?" He whispers back, his eyebrows furrowing as he frowns.

I run my hand through his hair, giving him my best attempt at a comforting smile. "Not every wish comes true, Tae. Some do, some don't. But that's what makes them special, don't you think?" He watches me, his eyes wiser than his six years. Taehyung had always seemed more mature for his age, like his brain was an adult but his body hadn't understood that yet. Finally he nods, his frown easing up a bit. "That's a good boy," I say, smiling brightly at him. "Now blow out your candles."

He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath, his tiny shoulders rising. He blows out, every flame extinguishing. Applause fills the room, cheers of congratulations sounding out as everyone smiles.

But not Taehyung.

His eyes are still closed, his forehead creasing as if he's deep in thought. I watch him for a moment, worry filling me. But before I can say anything, his eyes pop open, his smile once again gracing his cheeks.

I press a kiss to the top of his head, a giggle bursting out of him. "What'd you wish for?"

"I can't tell you right now, Daddy. Or it definitely won't come true."

Then he's up, running around the table to slide into a chair next to Jungkook and leaving me standing there.

As Jin passes out the cake the front door opens and closes, a bright voice flowing into the kitchen. "Where's my special boy? I know he's here..."

Hoseok pokes his head in the kitchen, a smile lighting up his face. Taehyung jumps up, running and jumping into his arms. "Uncle Hoseok!"

Hoseok cradles him to his chest, swinging him back and forth as he tries to keep Taehyung's icing-smeared cheeks from touching his shirt. "Hey babes."

I get up from my chair and make my way towards them. I lean against the wall, crossing my arms. "You're late."

He gives me a sheepish smile, setting Taehyung back on his feet and watching as he scurries back to his seat. "I know," he sighs. "My practice ran late this morning and then I had to shower. Anyways, I'm here now." He places his hand on my cheek, watching me closely. "You seem upset, is everything okay?"

I step back, moving out reach. Pain flashes in his eyes but he doesn't complain as he drops his hand back to his side.

Hoseok never complains.

Sometimes I wish he would.

"I'm fine," is all I say. Turning away from him, I watch as Jungkook smears icing on Taehyung's cheek, the white streak a great contrast to his skin as he giggles and retaliates, a line of purple going across Jungkook's nose.