chapter 35

"Wakey wakey, Princess."

Her eyes snapped open. Immediately aware that something was wrong.

Her mind was silent. The sound of her children's thoughts no longer there in the background.

Then she realised that she was not in her sleep pod. She was lying on her table in her personal throne room.

"Just so you know, we are on a clock. You've sixty minutes to decide if you want to die or adapt."

The Wraith Queen sat up sharply and locked her eyes on the source of the voice. Young, male, human.

"The name's Harry. I don't exactly care if you have a name. I might though, depending on your choice at the end of the hour." Harry shrugged.

"My children will know I am being held captive." She snarled as she moved off the table. She was wearing a long skirt and tight top. It forced her movements to be more sensual than deadly. She would have preferred deadly.

"Nope. They have no idea." Harry grinned and pointed behind her.

She turned and saw her sleep pod. It was occupied. There was a female in it and it enraged her.

Then she realised.

It was her.

"What trickery is this?!" She demanded.

"This is the trickery of a people so much more advanced than you that they have the ability to traverse time. To stop it, slow it and speed it up. To travel forward, backwards... like I said. In fifty-five minutes we will have caught up with normal time. You will get to witness me and my people extract you and then you and I will travel back and you will see yourself sleeping. The process will repeat infinitely."

"You have trapped us here?"

"No. Like I said, fifty-five minutes and we start living time normally. Now, take a seat. Let's see if the Wraith can be civilised, shall we?"

She began stalking up to him. "I will make your end torturous."

"See that device at the end of the table?" Harry pointed to a large chest made of silver metal. "That is a bomb. It has the capability of destroying everything within a one hundred mile radius.

"This ship will be reduced to ashes. There is one on every hive ship in the galaxy."

"A bluff."

"I can travel through time." Harry shrugged. "I could easily travel back to the time you first developed into humanoids and kill you. I'm here to give you a chance to live. To be better."

"You are nothing but cattle." She spat. "You live for us to consume you."

"Then you aren't going to be much of a problem for me when the timer runs out." Harry sighed. "Honestly, you don't have a large range of choices. It's either adapt or die. You have... fifty-one minutes."

"You think I will let you live that long?" She laughed derisively. "I will drain you dry now." She began stalking towards before there was a loud bang. She cried out in pain and grasped her shoulder in agony.

Harry just looked at the smoking gun he was pointing at her. "We tend to use projectile based weapons. I have access to energy ones but... they don't leave you bleeding." He said disappointedly.

"You will pay!"

"If you want I can end this now. I don't want to destroy your people. My own people would consider genocide to be one of the worst crimes possible. But... they'd consider slavery right up there too."