chapter 36

A few days later Harry was sitting in his living room reading a wad of documents.

Actually he was reading the cover letter from President Lancet. The older man knew Harry would not be interested in technical legal mumbo jumbo and had boiled it all down.

Across from Harry in a wing back chair was Jack O'Neill. Tracey, Daphne and Pansy were doing their homework at the table. Fleur was engaged in a game of chess with Filius and Gemma and Minerva were enjoying a class of brandy by the fire.

"Is he serious about this?" Harry sighed as he waved the letter at Jack.

"Yeah, he's hoping to use it to get legislation on magicals torn down whilst appeasing the prats who want a piece of the stargate." Jack frowned... prats? He'd been in Scotland too long.

"I've got no problems with having scientists and soldiers from the US working with my gang, but... the stargate is a death trap." Harry refused to change his tune on that one. "Even if you don't kill yourself by stumbling into the backwash or an incoming pool, anyone can come through."

"Anyone can come through your portals, if they can reach it. We just need to take the same safety precautions." Jack reasoned. "You've never actually put any thought into securing the stargate for use because you had your portals. Why not put that freaky mind of yours on the task."

Harry winced.

"Jack, please do not use the term 'freak' around Harry." Filius spoke up warningly but without malice or reproach. "He has been subjected to it in the worst of ways."

Jack frowned. "Sorry."

"S'Ok." Harry muttered. "I'm going to go and think about this stuff. Tell the President I'll have a formal letter drawn up but he should start assembling his teams for dispatch to Azkaban."

Everyone frowned as they watched Harry walk out with his shoulders hunched.

"We will finish later, Filius." Fleur nodded to the older wizard.

"Of course my dear."

Without a word the girls put their pens down and followed Fleur out with Gemma.

"For the better part of his early years, before he went to school at age five, Harry didn't know his own name. His 'relatives' called him 'Freak' or 'Boy'." Filius explained with a snarl.

"Shit."

"Language Mister O'Neill." Minerva admonished. She pulled out her wand and conjured a third wing-back chair in front of the fire and a stepping stool for Filius. The two males joined her as she poured them a glass. "Harry will not hold this against you. He simply has to deal with memories he tries to supress."

"Doesn't he have a counsellor he can talk to?" Jack asked with concern. He hated hearing about Harry's early life, every time they told him something new.

Filius chuckled. "He has five very willing and patient sets of ears that are even now attending to him."

"But what about a trained professional?" Jack pressed.

"David Macdonald had him talk to an army counsellor who was briefed on Harry's nature and history." Minerva answered. "After a mere two appointments they stopped. Harry has tried to explain but, we are observers and not sufferers, as Miss Macdonald has pointed out, so we cannot fully grasp the situation."

"Still, it would be better for him if he could... re-associate things like 'freak' with good things." Jack sighed. "'Freak' is also associated with good things in muggle culture. It's rare, but, like when I was trying to joke with him just now..." He trailed off.