Chapter 2 - A special visitor

This takes place right after the first Fantastic Beast movie, where Grindelwald is in his cell in America.

Thank you for reading, hope you enjoy,

xoxo Leviosa

P.S.: I hope that there will not be anymore spacing (?) mistakes anymore. 

Chapter 2

„What exactly did he say?" 

„I couldn't really understand him. But if I am not mistaken, Grindelwald said something like: Will we die, just a little? And I didn't quite understand the meaning of his words. I supposed you could know" 

Dumbledore was surprised by Newts Words. He tried to hide. He tried to keep the memories away from him. It was all in the past, they didn't blocked his future. He should not let them rule his brain nor his heart. Grindelwald was history now, he was sitting in prison. Dumbledore had no reason to be afraid. Grindelwald was a human, he had no control over anything. So he smiled at newt and changed the subject. 

„You know what? I don't have any idea what it could mean. But how's your book going? I heard that it is about to be published"

 For a second, Newt stared at him. He didn't believe him. Newt wasn't naive, he knew that something was happening. But Newt was still a Hufflepuff, he understood that some things did not have to be said, some things were private. He blinked and the moment was over. Newt hadn't changed. He looked exactly like he had before he had been expelled. The same chaotic hair, the same blue eyes. His appearence did not change, though everything around him had.

After minutes of silence, Grindelwald opened his eyes, took a breath and was ready to speak. But instead, Albus began to say something. "I have to talk to you. There was no other option left for me... So listen and...", but Grindelwald interrupted him instantly. "I'm sorry. I am sorry, Albus", and then he fell silent. "I said: listen. It's too late now, you can't change the past. You have to live your life even if it means living with death and mistakes and the blame. I came here to tell you that the only way to survive is to regret. Regret your mistakes and you will not die. They won't execute you. You will stay here forever. Your whole life. But you will live. And that is more than what they left this poor obscurial, Credence. Take this chance, please.", and he turned around, ready to walk out of the cell and disappear forever.

"It is not. It isn't better. They want to put me in cage, they should kill me instead of locking me in here for eternity. They want to tell their enemies, the rest of their world: We are great: we have a Grindelwald in a cage and he is stronger than any Grindelwald before and we had the power to control him. They can't control me and they won't kill me. I am their trophy, their greatest achievement. The nation that caught Grindelwald! They are disgusting, with their laws and their importance of their own power. They are so busy looking at themselves and their people, their great abilities, they are blind to see how broken their world is. The only way to protect the obscurials and the wizards is not to hide them! Ignorance causes fear. Knowledge is power. They are trying to tame me, so I can't tell them the truth. And even if most people don't agree with my philosophy, they are most afraid of seeing their own flaws, the things they did wrong. They don't arrest me because I killed people, they arrest me because I believe that things have to be fixed and that the governments are not able to do so. And that's worse. It is worse than disagreeing with me. They don't even try to understand my motives, but you did. You should be minister of magic, Albus. You should lead the world. But you chose your path and now we see eachother again, after years and years of hiding. And I accept it. I accept your ways, but you should know that you are still a better human then all of them, these ministers of magic, these leaders that don't see the problem of their people. They celebrate their victories without noticing that they are slowly breaking. They were willing to believe that a harmless magizoologist could try to kill their whole city, anyone, besides their own folk. I don't think these people have the right to judge me. But you have, Albus

Albus turned around again, stuck in his movement, torn between wanting to go and wanting to stay. "I am not the government. I don't have the right to judge anyone. So, this is goodbye, Gellert Grindelwald. Goodbye", he whispered. He closed the door carefully behind him and left Grindelwald alone in his cell, thinking about everything. Inside his head, Dumbledores words repeated themselvesover and over again.

Deep down, Grindelwald hadn't changed. His brain tried to persuade him to leave, to not listn to this maniac that Grindelwald had turned in. But he couldn't. His foot felt like they had been turned into stone. There was no reason for him to stay. The american minister had warned him, they all had. He will try to manipulate you. He knew that all too well. The voices returned. His conscience tried to talk him down. As if he didn't already know that this was toxic, that he couldn't be in love with the darkest wizard of his time. Grindelwald didn't care about him, he coudn't have. Why would he have ignored him for so long? Why would he have left after Arianas death? The daily prophet called him a narcissist. He can't love you. A few seconds later his heart interrupted his other thought. He shouldn't care about its opinon. After all the mistakes he had made. But he still stayed and listened to Grindelwald. And he realized that Grindelwald would find a way out, like he always did. He would never be slaved, he was too wild, a burning flame. He couldn't die without even trying to take over the world.

 Maybe Grindelwald was right about himself, maybe he wasn't lying. There was no one who could judge him. But you can, Albus. No. From all of the people in the world, he was the one who had absolutly no capability of judging over Grindelwald. He believed in too much good in people. But not all people were good. If he had to judge over Grindelwald, he already knew what he would do. It should not be possible to love someone so much and hating this feeling soo much, because it was bad for you, at the same time. The worst part of it was that Grindelwald believed in his words. And from the core Dumbldore knew that Grindelwald fought for the right thing. He just had the wrong methods and some of his ideas (like taking control of the muggles) had to be improved. The realisation hit him like cold water. He was thinking like he did before Ariana died. As if they were still friends, as if he could still save Grindelwald from the dark arts. Maybe he could have really lead him onto the right path. But the argument with Aberforth had destroyed every chance of that happening.

Albus hated his belief in the good in people, but he couldn't help but being sure that Grindelwald would regret his crimes some day. That there was still good in him, the broken pieces of what could have been between them.