Rebuilding

A/N: The infamous Chapter 12 is finally here (if you read this on Tumblr you understand)! I apologize for the wait, but there were plot holes that I was having a hard time with. Special thanks to Bella on Tumblr  for listening to me and offering me advice so that I could finally get somewhere with this chapter. I hope ya'll enjoy it and it was worth the wait! 

  —–  

You were standing outside on a vaguely familiar path talking to a girl about your age with matted chestnut-hair and unfocused, almost feral, blue eyes. Her words were crisp and cruel, but as they traveled to your brain they lost all meaning and confused you, "I need you to stay away from Jensen and Danneel. They don't need you, so why don't you do everyone a favor and just. Leave. Them. Alone."

She gave you a shove and your arms flailed erratically but were stopped as they thumped against something firm, but not hard like the ground as you expected. You screamed as you fell towards the sidewalk, but the hard impact never came.

You were instead met by Jay's voice, a few octaves higher than you remembered it being at the hospital, "(Y/N)! (Y/N)! Wake up, baby! You're ok, it's ok. I gotcha, I gotcha." You were wrapped in his strong, warm arms and found yourself pulled across his lap as he began to rock back and forth and rubbing wide circles into your back.

—–

"Big deep breaths for me sweetheart. Everything's ok," Jensen continued to whisper reassurances to her as she struggled to regain a normal breathing pattern. His heart had almost stopped when he heard her scream, but then his protective instincts kicked in within the same second and he was sprinting down the hall to her room. He was relieved to see she wasn't being attacked physically, but he felt his heart break at the sight of her caught in the depths of a nightmare.

He felt her body start to shake as her terror set in; her breathing turned from shallow and scared to gasping. Oh man, is she having a panic attack? "(Y/N), please look at me," Jensen made sure to keep his voice calm but made sure it wasn't a question.

As she slowly, ever so slowly, lifted her eyes to meet his, he finally saw the tears trailing down her cheeks; Oh, maybe she's just upset, not actual panic attack. "(Y/N), are you scared?" She shook her head in the negative. "Was it something in your nightmare?" She seemed to go back and forth like she couldn't decide.

"I-" She cleared her throat and tried again. "I think it was a memory."

—–

Danneel had waited for more sounds from (Y/N)'s room to infer what was happening: did someone break in and should she call the police or maybe she had simply had a nightmare? Surely if there was a break in, there would be more noises, and given the lack of them, she decided to go with the nightmare theory. She trailed the path across her home to the teen's room to see her husband rocking (Y/N) and heard the end of their conversation, "Was it something in your nightmare?" She seemed to go back and forth like she couldn't decide.

"I-" She cleared her throat and tried again. "I think it was a memory."

Danneel softly rapped on the door to make her presence known and padded in to sit beside the other two on the teenager's bed. "Do you want to talk about it, honey? It's ok if you do and it's ok if you don't. It might help if you do though..." Danneel wanted to be supportive of (Y/N)'s decision, but she selfishly wanted to know what could have been so upsetting; she wanted to comfort her eldest.

"Um, well. It, uh, I think it was how I got hurt, so you guys weren't there." Her eyes darted around the room, like she was afraid to share this piece of information.

From her place beside her husband, Danneel could feel Jensen's body tense. She ran a hand along his arm, a silent reminder to relax lest (Y/N) think he was upset with her, "You can still tell us if you want, (Y/N). We want to know what happened anyway and the school doesn't have a lot of information for us right now," Danneel used her free hand to grasp one of (Y/N)'s and gave it a squeeze and offered her a smile.