24 Hours Earlier (Part 1)

A/N: Just in case it is unclear, this chapter takes place 24 hours prior to Chapter 14.

-----

It had been two years of familial bliss for the Ackles and (Y/N). Ever since she had become their nanny, things had been going pretty well for them all. JJ called her sissy or sister half the time, while the twins were still getting the hang of their words (that was a lot of 'S's for new tongues to master) but they tried. Jensen and Danneel both thought of, and treated her like one of their own, and Gen and Jared were happy to have another niece (the fact that she was able to babysit on short notice was a nice bonus as well). The last 24 hours, though, the last 24 hours had been draining for everyone.

—–

Gen was on her way to grab Tom from school when she realized something was off: she hadn't received a text from (Y/N) about picking up Tom. Every day since JJ had started school, (Y/N) would send a text asking if she should get Tom too, so Gen wouldn't have to get out of the car (or even leave the house sometimes) with two kids. Most of the time, Gen would tell her thank you but not to worry about it, unless Shep or Odette was sick or taking a nap. But, today Gen realized she hadn't received any messages from (Y/N) and it made her a little wary; Oh, stop it. I'm just being paranoid. I'm sure everything's fine.

She pulled up to the school, popped Odette on her hip, and grabbed Shep's hand to go retrieve their oldest from his classroom. On their way, they passed JJ's classroom and were stopped by a familiar voice, "Aunt Momma!"

"JJ! Hi honey! Where's (Y/N)? I never beat her here."

The little girl gave a shrug, "I don't know. She always picks me up right when school ends and then we go home so she can do some homework before we play together."

Gen smiled at her niece; the two of them got along so well and it made her heart happy. "I'm going to go pick up Tom and then I'll be back. If (Y/N) shows up before I get back tell her to wait for me, ok?"

She watched as the little blond nodded her head in understanding. As she continued down the hallway towards her son's classroom, she tried to remember if Dani had said anything about a change in plans today but couldn't come up with anything.

With all three of her kids in tow, she returned to JJ's classroom and was met with a frazzled teacher, "Ms. Jones, are you ok?"

"I don't know what to do. (Y/N) is never late and I don't want to worry JJ's mom by calling her, but school policy says if a child hasn't been picked up by now then we have to start making phone calls."

Gen pulled out her cell phone, "I'll save you the trouble. I'll call Dani and take JJ home. I'm on her approved pick up list."

"Are you sure, Mrs. Padalecki? I don't want to inconvenience you..."

"It's not a problem. I wouldn't have it any other way."

She stepped in to the classroom while her phone rang to help JJ gather her things. Dani answered on the second ring, "Hey Gen, what's up?"

"Hey, I'm at the school and I was just wondering if you had heard from (Y/N) at all? She isn't here yet...Do you want me to bring JJ home since I'm here anyway?"

"What do you mean she's not there yet? That's not like her at all. Um, yeah, can you bring JJ home and I'll try to call her. You, you don't think anything happened, do you?"

Gen could hear the forced enthusiasm in her own voice, if not for Dani's sake than for the four kids listening closely to every word she said, "I'm sure everything's fine. She probably got caught up studying or hanging with some friends. She'll probably call you and apologize in no time. I'll see you soon, ok?"