Chapter 5 - The Truth

Sonic's Perspective
Guess what happened today!
The usual.
Getting my butt kicked.
But I felt worse than ever.

My head collided with the wall with a bang. I slid onto the floor, exhausted.
"I didn't know the world's hero was so weak." Zavok teased.
"I defeated you before, ya know?" I managed to say as I tried to get up.
"Oh, correct," Zavok looked down at me as if he forgot completely about growing into an enormous baby with laser breath.
"Say, where's water brain?" I asked. I hadn't seen Chaos in a while. Shadow wasn't here at the moment, but he already had his turn beating me up yesterday.
"It doesn't matter," he answered.
"You're really bad at hiding stuff," I grinned. "You forgot all about your spanking, and you're afraid to admit that Chaos is now plant refreshments!"
"Silence!" Zavok swung at me.
I was still dazed and I didn't react fast enough. The spikes he wore on his wrists dug into my side.
I fell and put a hand to my swelling wound, not that I had a ton.
"You're that afraid—" I wheezed, "—to admit it, huh?"
"Chaos was too weak," Zavok growled. "But I'm stronger. And you will be imprisoned and tortured here until you are sent into space for eternity."
I stopped.
Then I burst into laughter.
As frightening as it sounded to freeze in space and see my whole world destroyed, it still sounded ridiculous. I mean, who ever thought of that?
I stopped and winced when my side started to throb.
"Laugh all you want, hedgehog. We will eventually have the last laugh, anyway," Zavok started to walk toward the gate.
Before I could run to it, the blue rings appeared. I tripped over my bonded feet and bonked my head on the ground. When I looked back up, the gate had already closed with the horn head outside.
I lost the opportunity to escape. For the billionth time.
Seeing me pathetically chained, lying on the ground like I was a wrapped-up burrito, Zavok chuckled. Then he walked off.

When he left, I felt comfortable enough to flop onto the bed-sized chair. The chair that could be used as a bed. One of Eggman's inventions that actually worked at least a little.
I sat down and worried. No one's left to save the world, huh? My friends are all probably worried sick.
I also had some questions. Why did Zavok act like he had amnesia? Why couldn't I slip through the gate after billions of attempts? And who was that mysterious guy who defeated me a few months ago?
I decided to push that all aside for a second and plan an escape. Then I fell asleep trying.

The next day, I couldn't sleep at all.
As my cuffs disappeared, Eggman strutted up to my cell like the grinning goon he is.
"Oh, the exact person I wanted to meet today,"  I joked as I stood up and stretched.
"I could say the same to you, hedgehog," Eggman said with a goofy laughing vibe to his voice due to his wide smile. "Say, you haven't seen the outside world in a while, yes?"
"Oh yeah! Ya know, maybe I should check it out and get some fresh air for a few minutes," I smirked.
"Oh, you won't need to do that. I have a device that allows you to see our progress without having to go outside to ESCAPE!" Eggman said as he took out a remote control thingy.
With the press of a button, a staticky but pretty clear 360 degree view of the outside was shown.
It wasn't pretty.
I was in a city of ruins.
Fire leaped from every window of every building. Civilians screamed and ran from robots. The sky was blanketed with smoke, and countless heaps of rubble lay on the ground. One particular thing, though, caught my eye.
There was one trembling civilian sitting with his hands over his ears. He had nothing to defend himself with, and it didn't look like he had any fighting experience.
And right above him, a few feet away, was the one who gave me a good spanking a few months back.
The dark masked figure.
The kid below him scrambled to what looked like a gun, picked it up, and pointed it at Mr. Masked Clown, shaking tremendously. Poor guy.
The figure simply formed a red ball of energy and threw it at him. Although he missed, the kid stumbled and fell, dropping the weapon.
The clown seemed to talk to him afterwards. Probably about surrendering or something. Too bad I couldn't hear anything.
But then, the kid saw his chance to escape.
And the figure let him go!
I was relieved, confused, and angry at the same time. Mostly angry, though. It made me clench my fists and growl under my breath.
Suddenly, everything disappeared. I was in the cell again, with Eggman outside, still a grinning goon.
"What a show, right? Too bad you're left out of the fun!" Eggman cackled.
I couldn't help it. I lost my cool.
"What did you do?!" I hollered.
"You just saw what I did, you brainless rodent! The Eggman Empire owns 99% of the world now!" Eggman declared proudly.
"Just wait until I bust my way out of here!" I yelled.
"You're not going anywhere," a dark and brooding voice behind me answered.
I turned quickly and saw the faker standing inside the cell.
Before I could land a blow on Shadow, I heard Eggman snicker and call out, "Have fun, Sonic! I bet your friends are, too!"
I was about to roast the egghead bad, but I must've gotten kicked on the head and passed out.