Chapter 7 - Discovery

Tails' Perspective
After a while of dashing through Green Hill (more like Sand Hill), Sonic stopped to hide behind a rock. I flew down and followed him, then looked up to see what he was looking at.
It was Eggman and his monster.
"... the disposal of the Phantom Ruby prototypes is complete," I heard the figure say in a low, chilling voice.
I trembled as I got a better look at him. He looked Mobian, but had a metal mask, dark gloves and shoes, and a strange glowing magenta stone on his chest. Sonic seemed to recognize it.
"It was a defective model. It could only record the DNA of the one that triggered it," Eggman said as Sonic and I looked at each other in confusion.
"Only a being with my strength could ever activate it," the figure seemed to brag.
"It doesn't matter now, with the lab locked down in Mystic Jungle. Which reminds me..." Eggman thought as he turned to the masked guy. "... didn't you run into Sonic there after he escaped?"
I stifled a gasp. I couldn't believe it. Maybe I imagined it.
"Yes, but he was powerless against me. There is no need for concern," the figure answered as he shrugged carelessly.
So I wasn't imagining it! Sonic is alive! But my heart sank back down when I realized he got defeated again.
"You let the hedgehog LIVE? That is a great source of concern!"
My burden lightened just a little. That was a great source of relief.
"For you, perhaps. He has beaten you for decades, yet I defeated him on our first encounter."
To make sure I was hearing things clearly, I whispered to Sonic, "Phantom Ruby prototypes? And Sonic... is alive?"
I said that last part a little too loudly.
Sonic and I ducked just before the masked guy could see us.
"What is it?" Eggman asked.
"... Nothing," he answered before turning back to Eggman. "We move forward with the plan?"
Sonic and I peeked once again.
"Of course! When it's complete, the Resistance will be erased. The world will be nothing but ashes, from which a glorious Eggman Empire will rise!" Eggman declared.
"And the Resistance will yield to the Phantom Ruby's power. All will submit," the figure added as he floated upwards, a purple aura surrounding him, before gliding away.
So, the ruby he's wearing was the source of his power!
Sonic suddenly leapt out of his hiding spot, anger written all over his face. I tripped on my words as I tried to tell Sonic to "get back here" or something.
"What?! You!" Eggman yelled.
Sonic charged at him and landed a blow on his flying mobile.
"I don't have time for this," Eggman grunted as he flew off. Sonic dashed after him. I reluctantly followed.

Sonic's Perspective
Boy, that was the best jailbreak ever.
After defeating Zavok in a battle, he strangely faded away in red and purple light and glitches. I figured that was normal for monsters like himself.
So, I realized that I was in the Death Egg (that simply can't be destroyed for good for some reason) and came up with the best plan to escape: borrow a shuttle!
But before I got to enter one, I saw a fellow Mobian who had fallen. He was also surrounded by Eggman's robots, who were ready to blast him into pieces. So what did I do? It's obvious.
After blasting the robots to pieces with my trusty spin dash, I held out a hand to the kid.
"Easy there! Everything's cool," I reassured him.
He looked up at me. It was him! The kid from the attack of the masked clown!
I noticed his gear and walkie-talkie thingy and realized that he became a soldier of the Resistance.
"Are you here to rescue me?" I asked to make sure as I pulled him up.
He nodded.
"Can't tell you how much I appreciate it. It's been a while since I've seen a friendly face," I smiled.
I didn't know if he was shaking in relief or in fear, but I brimmed with pride at his bravery to come up here in the middle of space to save me.
My buddy took out his walkie-talkie and put it to his ear. I could barely hear Knuckles' muffled voice saying, "Hey rookie, you still in one piece?"
"Oh, sure. Don't even bother to ask how I am," I joked, struggling to contain my excitement.
I waited for Knuckles' response, but another voice rang out from the speaker instead.
"SONIC! I'm so glad!" Amy screeched.
I was taken aback and blurted out, "Amy?!"
Buddy — I decided to call him that — looked at me with an amused expression.
I shrugged at him to make the situation a little more comical. I was glad to make him feel better.
"Hold up Amy. We're all happy Sonic is alive!" Knuckles tried to sound serious, but I could clearly hear relief in his voice.
"Is there an exit around here?" I asked the rookie. He pointed at a shuttle in the distance.
"But he won't be for long if he doesn't get off that egg in a hurry," Knuckles continued.
"Your concern is touching, Knuckles," I told him before the rookie hung up.
We both ran into the shuttle and flew off to freedom.