Chapter 3

Natasha fiddled with her thumbs nervously. Despite the fact that she sat close to a fire, she didn't feel safe. It seemed as though it's dangerous by day, but even worse by night.

"Are you okay?" asked Jessica, Natasha's best friend, with a concerned look. She was three years older than Natasha, but they were the same height. Her pink hair reached her lower shoulders. Her deep scarlet eyes were soft. She wore a pink hoodie and a miniskirt.

Natasha smiled. "Yeah. I'm just worried about Josh."

Jessica smiled reassuringly. "He's fine. He'll come back soon."

They waited for some time. The night was alive with the sounds of dinosaurs and crackling fire. But there were no signs of movement in the underbrush cloaked by the night's darkness. All seemed placid.

Moments later, the bushes rustled. A surge of alarm shot through Natasha. In less than a second, her hand was on her bow and took out an arrow. Jessica's hand gripped the spear laying next to her.

"Hold it!" cried a voice. "Don't shoot! It's me!"

A figure emerged from the bushes. He was tall, muscular, and handsome. His hair was bright orange and was spiky. His eyes were chocolate brown. His beard was very short. He wore a white T-shirt and a black over shirt. The girls lowered their weapons.

Jessie smiled. "Josh!"

She stood up and rushed over to the big man. They wrapped each other in their arms and plugged their lips together. At that moment, Natasha felt a deep and desperate longing. A longing that clawed in her heart. She longed to have love. She'd give anything, and everything, to fall in love. Just like the way it was three years ago.

But those days ended, along with everything else. She moved on, yes, but memories kept haunting her dreams. Memories of blood and death.

Josh and Jessica pulled away from each other, smiling at one another.

"How is it?" Jessie asked. "Is it safe?"

Josh nodded. "As it can possibly be. No signs of trouble."

"Good," Natasha said, forcing a smile. "That's a relief."

"Yep, so we can sleep peacefully tonight," Josh said, folding his arms.

"That's music to my ears," Jessie said, her smile never fading. The two shuffled towards to Natasha and sat down.

"I'll keep watch for tonight," Josh said, scratching his scalp.

Jessie looked at her boyfriend with concern, but it was Natasha who spoke. "Are you sure? You haven't slept in two days. Maybe one of us should take the watch."

Joshua laughed. "I'm fine Tasha. I can go a little while longer without sleep. But I promise I'll rest tomorrow night."

"..."

Natasha sighed, rubbing an eye. "Okay."

Josh smiled wider. "Good night, ladies."

Natasha and Jessica laid themselves onto the ground and drifted to sleep. Tasha, however, didn't sleep soundly. Her dreams were haunted by memories.

* * *

It began three years ago, when the dinosaurs had nearly conquered all of the planet. The night was dark and rain hammered down. Natasha was soaking wet, her clothes clinging to her skin. She'd been trying to find shelter for hours.

Please, she thought. Please let there be a dry place.

And when things were at their darkest, she found it. A hotel. Granted, it wasn't pleasant, the white paint on the walls were chipped and the windows were boarded shut. But it had a roof, so at least it was dry, which was all that mattered.