Chapter 7

On all of the things that Natasha wanted to do, being chased down by a large, carnivorous dinosaur wasn't on the top of the list. But then again, these days, she didn't really have much of a choice. She and her friends ran as fast as their legs could carry them, but it seemed that the Megalosaurus was faster. Natasha jumped over roots and ducked under branches, her breath racing.

"What do we do, Josh?" Jessie said over the thundering footfalls. "That thing will catch up to us soon."

Tash could hear the dinosaur charge through the forest, her breath coming out in hot snorts. Tash felt leaves and branches brush and slap her face. A sharp tree limb cut her cheek. She felt something warm and wet on her face. She didn't have to put her hand to her face or look at her reflection to know that it was her blood.

The smell of blood seemed to make the Megalosaurus become more motivated; her roar was more terrifying than before. This dinosaur was thirsty for blood and hungry for flesh.

"I'll try to slow her down!" Josh cried out. Natasha looked at him as he reached down to his holster hanging from his hip and pull out his Beretta. He glanced back, his tongue sticking out as he aimed. With a loud bang, a bullet was fired, scoring a direct hit into the creature's right eye. Blood gushed from the exploded eye and the dinosaur wailed in pain and anger. It stopped chasing them as she tried to scratch out the unseen stinger lodged in where her eye once was.

Still, the trio kept running.

"That'll slow her down for a bit," Josh said, putting his pistol back.. "But she'll start chasing us again soon."

"What should we do then?" Jessie said.

Tash had no time to think. Her mind was racing as fast as her legs, which were starting to ache.

She heard the Megalosaurus bellow and she looked back. It was still at the same place scratching at her bleeding wound, shaking her head violently.

"I have an idea, but we'll have to cover more ground for it to work" Josh said. The he told them what they needed to do.

The Megalosaurus charged in a murderous rage. First, it was only hungry, now she was hungry and enraged by her prey. How dare they take away her eye! She was going to rip them apart.

But first, she had to find them. The trouble was that, in all the excitement, she completely lost them. But she wouldn't have trouble finding them. All she had to do was follow their scent. And her nose told her that they were not too far ahead. She could definitely catch up to them.

She trampled and stormed through the forest, snorting, growling, panting, and huffing. Saliva dripped from her jaws. She could feel hot blood rolling down from the stinging would on her eye. She could already taste their flesh.

She finally came to a stomping stop, the scent of her targets were heavy in the air. She could smell their sweat, their blood. She looked around slowly, searching for any signs of life. The slightest movement will be the only indication she would need to go for the kill.

But there was nothing. They were nowhere to be seen.

Tash crouched down low on the tree branch she was standing on, nearly fourteen feet off the ground. She held her bow tightly, her knuckles turning white. She watched from the cover of the leaves as the Megalosaurus looked around, smelling the air like a wolf and scanning the area, moving her head left and right. Tash could see blood trickling from her eye and down off of her scaly chin. She could smell the animal's horrid breath. But she couldn't let that distract her. She had a job she needed to do.