Chapter 19

Vincent and I brought the girl back with us to the cabin with no difficulty. I carried her the whole way on my back and let her down on my bed so Hailey could have a look at her. I left the room so Hailey could do her stuff. It was now night, the lights hanging above us provided the light that chased away the darkness. Walter, Vinny, and I sat on the chairs in the living room talking. I leaned forward with my hands over each other, resting my chin on them.

"There are so many questions about her that I want to find the answers to," Walt said, his mask shining. "Who is she? Where did she come from? And why did she jump into the river?"

"I've been wondering the same things," I spoke up. "I would also like to know if she knows if there are anymore survivors out there."

Vinny nodded, folding his hands together. "I agee. When you think about it, we just keep finding more and more people who are still alive. This should theoretically mean that there could possibly be others. Maybe not here in Georgia or any of the surrounding states, but possibly elsewhere in the world."

The thought of more survivors made me feel hopeful. I knew that within the last five years since the dinosaurs first began their worldwide conquest that the numbers of the human race had dropped heavily. In the first year alone, nearly percent of human lives all around the world had died out. By now, chances are over ninety percent of our species had become extinct, and I estimate that by the end of this year that we will be completely wiped out.

But as long as we're here, we can still hope that there could be the slightest chance of there being more people who managed to live and fight through all of the chaos these last few years.

"Well, we can only get the answers after she wakes up. And she'll need to rest and collect herself before we start interrogating her. I think the poor thing needs some time to herself." I sat up straight and folded my arms. "But I can guess that she may have jumped into the river to escape from a predator. I don't really see any other reason as to why she would do that."

"Neither do I," Vinny said, pushing his glass up the bridge of his nose. "She would have to have been desperate to jump in the water where it is dangerous."

"I just hope she'll be okay," I said. "I have a feeling she's been through a lot of shit."

Then came the sound of someone walking down the stairs. Looking back, I saw Hailey appear from the steps, adjusting the white coat she had on. The expression on her face was calm, peaceful. She turned to the living room and made her way towards us.

"She'll be okay," she said, taking a seat next to me. She looked at me with a gentle smile. "Looks like the CPR you did saved her neck. All she needs now is a little rest and she'll be fully recovered soon."

"Does she have any injuries?" Walt asked.

Hailey shook her head. "Nothing serious. A couple of bruises and a slight bump on her head, which is possibly from something hard hitting her. Otherwise, she's fine."

I let out a silent breath of relief. Thank God.

"Any luck finding the nest?" Hailey asked.

"I am afraid not," Vinny said, shaking his head. "We didn't spot a single Coelophysis on our search."

"Oh..." Hailey's head drooped with a sad expression, looking down at her hands resting on her knees.

"However," I said, "we have a pretty good idea where to look."

Vinny nodded. "We have reason to believe that the Coelophysis made their nest near the river not far away from here. It has everything a predator needs: a heavily used water source, plenty of places to hide in, and more than enough prey to go around. If our reasoning is accurate, then the likelihood of finding the nest will increase tenfold."