Chapter 5

The Deinonychus lunged, the sharp, needle-like teeth in the raptor's jaws gleaming. Saliva foamed from the narrow mouth. Marcus narrowed his eyes, a grin of pleasure spread on his face from ear to ear, and dodged, the dinosaur completely missing him. He turned to face the dinosaur, which looked back at him. It hissed, clearly pissed off.

The animal was dangerously beautiful, covered in deep sapphire blue feathers, like a bird. It's arms and stiff tail had longer feathers, as if he had wings. It flexed it's three clawed hands and stabbed the killing claws on his hind feet. A small crown of iridescent red quill-like feathers sprouted from the back of his neck.

The most striking part was the creature's eyes. They were red. Dark as blood, the one thing it craved the most. The gaze seemed to attempt to pierce fear into the heart.

This was the most thrilling part of fighting such dangerous dinosaurs. He knew that from experience. He knew that a whole pack of these dinosaurs were deadlier than a fully grown Allosaurus, even though they were only half as tall as a man and just over ten feet long. This raptor, however, was alone, which was not very thrilling. But still, this dinosaur had to be terminated.

Marcus looked right into the predator's dark, demonic red eyes, it's pupil nothing but a long, thin slit, and released a loud battle scream. He lunged, grasping his lance with an iron grip, his spiky, dark red bangs flowing wildly in the wind. The predator bellowed and charged toward his prey. Marcus could heart his heart drumming hard in his chest.

The two met in the middle. Marcus didn't hesitate. Not for one second. He thrust his lance hard, impaling the dinosaur into it's heart. He felt the bones give way. Blood splattered on the weapon. The raptor screeched like a banshee, blood surging out of his jaws, dripping from his saliva and spilling onto the ground.

Marcus grinned wider and yanked the lance out, spilling more blood. The dinosaur threw it's head back, trying to screech, but it came out more like a gurgle. It shivered and collapsed.

Marcus chuckled. "Another one down," he said, tracing his finger along the scar over where his right eye had once been. The black eye patch was the only thing that covered it. He felt something warm and wet and looked at his hand. It was blood from the raptor.

Must have sprayed my face, he thought. No matter.

He adjusted his black leather jacket studded with metal spikes. Tiny beads of blood from the raptor were flecked here and there.

Marcus heard wings flapping and he looked up. The full moon revealed a dark, human-like silhouette. The odd part was that the person had wings that resembled those of a peregrine falcon. Grayish blue and white with delicate black streaks.

The winged boy touched down, folding his huge wings. He was tall and slim. His chin was long and narrow. His eyes were the same shade of blue as his wings. His long blond hair blew in the faint wind. His face was stony and grim.

"Marcus," he said. "Are you injured?"

The tiny brown, bear-like ears on the top of his head perked. "No, Eli," he said. "I'm unharmed. Are there anymore Deinonychus nearby? It would be such a shame if we had to wipe out the whole pack." Marcus grinned. "For them, that is."

Eli shook his head. "No, Marcus. I checked already. That dinosaur was alone."

Marcus tsked. "Oh, well. I suppose one kill will suffice."

"Marcus," Eli said. "This is the eleventh dinosaur attack this week. Sure, we've only had to deal with Velociraptors, Dilophosaurus, and Deinonychus. But who's to say that the next dinosaur to attack won't be much bigger than the one's we've faced?"