Chapter 22

“Alright everyone,” Marcus said, coming to a stop. “We’ll rest here for now. In ten minutes, we keep moving.”

Luke and his friends sat down on the ground and instantly felt relief begin to spread. To Luke as he walked with his companions in the forest, today was hot and humid. His arms, back, and forehead were sweaty. And the others he was with were in no different condition. Well, except Eli, since all he had to do to cool down was to fly, but he just sat down like the rest.

   They’ve been on the move in search of a new home for over two weeks, but their efforts have been fruitless, so far. Even if they were all Homo animalis (the scientific name for the race of humans whose DNA were modified with that of animals), they were starting to get tired of their travels. However, Marcus was determined to find sanctuary. It was he who pushed the group along. And naturally, they had to follow him, he was their alpha.

   Luke’s heightened senses were on high alert. He could smell and hear animals all around them, but thankfully none of them were nearby.

   Luke took a look at everyone around him. Annabeth was looking at the long, shiny, toxic needles embedded under her fingernails, with a look on her face a lot like that of a curious cat and her tail swishing back and forth. Camilla sat directly next to the cheetah girl, her scaly skin a flushed pinkish color, like someone blushing or burning up, and her tail curled by her legs. Eli had taken roost on the branch of a tree, running his fingers through his silvery hair.

   Luke then looked at Marcus, the most physically scarred member of the group. His dark brown skin was stitched in pale scars. He even had an eyepatch to cover the hole on the right side of the face that was once an eye. His dark red hair was wild and spiky, with two tiny bear eyes sprouting up top. He wore nothing but black; a black, spiked, leather jacket, black leather pants and black boots. Everything about him was intimidating, and why not? He was ferocious, fearless, and relentless. He was more of an animal in terms of behavior than anyone else Luke knew.

   He remembered the first time they met two years ago, but it was not a happy occasion. It was the night Luke lost the only thing he loved and treasured more than anything. Something he vowed to protect and care for, but failed...

It was a chilly winter night. The sun had set over the buildings that formed the outer rim of the small town in Mount Airy where Luke lived with his family. He used to live with his parents and his grandmother, but only he and his eight year old sister, Kitrina, were all that remained of his family.

After his family was killed off, he and Kit had been living in the house, alone. Luke made it his absolute duty to protect his younger sibling from harm and keep her happy, treating her as a lady.

   But a couple days ago, she got very very sick. She had contracted the ebola virus. Luke had never been so terrified in his life, seeing her in so much pain, gobs of blood expelling from her violently. He knew he had to do something, or Kit would die. And he couldn't let that happen. He just couldn't.

   Luke knew where the closest hospital was and he could easily go there, grab the vaccine, leave the building, and treat her. But because Kit wasn’t fit to travel, it would mean he would have to leave her in the house alone, which he didn't want to do. He wanted to just hold her tiny form in an embrace and tell her she would be okay. He was conflicted, the decisions running wild in his mind. But that night, he made his decision.

   Luke walked into the bedroom where Kit rested. She looked just like Luke, but as a very small girl. Gray hair, tail, and ears. She was wearing a pure white dress that she had Luke dress her in, like a princess. On her hair was a plastic, silver tiara with fake blue gemstones. She didn't look to be in pain, her expression very peaceful, and her smile was still a sight for sore eyes.