Chapter 3

"Well I definitely won't worry about that," Dean remarked, staring at the spot the angel previously occupied.

"Yeah, that was strange," Sam paused, opening his laptop. "Let's see if we can find anything in the lore. Cas definitely doesn't seem like he's gonna be much help here."

Dean nodded and began his trek to the kitchen to get a round of beers. If he was gonna sit down and do research, he wasn't gonna do it sober, that's for sure.

And so with that, the boys got to work, Sam scrolling through websites on his laptop and Dean flipping through the Men of Letters archive page by page. The bunker was quiet besides the tapping of keys and the flipping of pages. In the archive, there wasn't a whole lot about angels, but Dean still thought it was worth a shot. The Men of Letters had a 500-page book (only volume one) about werewolf transgenderism, why not this?

Minutes of research quickly turned to hours, and the boys still drew nothing. Any lore they did find seemed sketchy at best.

"Hey remember when Cas referred to a 'Profound bond' that connected you two?" Sam asked, halfway to their fifth hour of research. He mimed the air quotes around profound bond. "Maybe it has something to do with this."

"Yeah," Dean replied, rubbing his eyes and getting up to stretch. He grabbed his half drunken beer and took a swig. "Now that I think about it, he was weird with that too."

The hunters continued the hellish amount of research for another hour. Dean was about to call it quits to go watch a movie or something before his brains blew out, when Sam turned the computer towards him. On the screen was an article matched with a picture of a huge creature with thousands of eyes and two large wings. It was stunning but also fearsome.

"So get this," Sam said his usual phrase as he started to explain what he found. His hands were waving in the air as he spoke. "Halos are supposedly a connection to the angel's true form. It kind of blinds them to a vessel. It's also connecting them to their grace, allowing them to access it while possessing someone."

"So what does it mean if I can see one?" Dean asked, looking back up at his brother.

"Well," A small smirk that worried Dean appeared on the younger Winchester's face. "Angel's can't even see each other's halo's, let alone humans. It is a rare occurrence to see a halo, one of the closest things to an angel's true visage, but can occasionally be done by humans. Turns out we were right with the whole 'Profound Bond' thing, in order to see a halo, you must be soulmates with the angel."

Dean blushed then shot to his own defense. "Soulmates? What do you mean soulmates, Sam? I'm not gay. I don't like Cas. The guy doesn't like me. End of story"

Sam shot Dean a bitch face that could rival the power of gods. "Okay so first, the previous comment set aside, angel's mating systems work similar to arranged marriages. At birth, or rather creation, angel's are assigned a soulmate by god. According to the lore, these soulmates are usually angel's but on very rare occurrences, humans can be chosen. It's actually really interesting, I want to ask Cas about it later." Sam paused, looking into his brother's eyes. " Now, back to that comment. Dean, I am not blind, I can see how you look at Cas, like he's the only light in the dark. I've seen the way you act when he's gone or worse, you're a nervous wreck. You care for him, I know you do, and not just as a friend or brother. I'm fine with it Dean, if it makes you happy just go for it. And by the way Cas looks at you, he will definitely be fine with it."

Sam flashed him a small smile as he tapped his leg up and down frantically. It was true, Dean had always liked the angel more than platonically, but was it actually love? Were they actually soulmates, handpicked by the big man upstairs himself? The idea made Dean's head spin. Demons, vamps, werewolves, or a wendigo? He's your guy. But love? Absolutely not. Dean Winchester didn't know shit about love.

Dean took a few more seconds to reply. He had been relieved that Sam was fine with him dating not only Cas, but a guy in general. He had always been worried that his brother would have been harsh or unaccepting like his father. The first time he brought a boy 'home' was too nerve-racking to relive, but let's just say it ended very badly. John wasn't exactly approving, hell he still had scars. But he also was getting increasingly stressed as each moment passed. What would Cas think? He clearly hadn't seemed happy with the news.

Dean finally asked, "How'd you find out?"

"Well, as someone who has to live in a bunker with enough sexual tension to fill a book, I would notice."

He paused for a moment, spinning his laptop around and closing it in one swift movement. "That's also the way I used to look at Jess," He choked a little on her name. Sam got up, taking his laptop with him and began to exit the room.

Before he left, the younger hunter added, "If you have the chance to be happy, take it. Don't mess this up, Dean"