Chapter 5

Dean thought back to when he first met the angel. The day when they both stood in that barn in Pontiac, Illinois. That day felt like eons ago, so much had happened since then, but Dean remembered it perfectly.

It was cold and slightly windy, the sky was dark and the night seemed threatening, but that might have been the fear in his own chest. He sat there with Bobby, surrounded by a hundred different symbols, each a different pledge of protection, from cultures all around the world. They both had a million idea's of the monster that could walk through those doors, but both had a definite feeling it was a powerful demon, even though demons claimed they didn't know or understand either. All they knew was this "Castiel" creature most likely had evil intent and they had to kill it.

When Castiel first entered the barn, the air seemed to be filled with an electricity, or possibly that might have been the light bulbs bursting overhead. The man's face seemed to be filled with no emotion, yet the halo on top of his head was spinning quite fast. Dean hadn't commented on the blue ring of fire, mainly due to the fact that he thought he was about to be ganked by some demonic being.

Dean and Bobby both immediately shot at Cas, as he walked right over a devils trap effortlessly, pumping salt into his chest. He seemed to be unaffected, instead just continuing to walk forward towards the hunters. Dean started to panic when the salt didn't take effect, and the symbols didn't seem to work either. We are so fucked.

As Castiel got closer, both men stopped shooting, as it was clearly ineffective. Dean moved to the table cautiously and quickly grabbed Ruby's demon knife, something that could hopefully kill the monster. As he clutched it in his hand, the man stopped in front of him, looking him deep in the eyes.

Dean looked into those deep blue eyes he would soon come to love. They were mesmerizing and beautiful, yet powerful and creepy. Although he looked like a tax accountant, there was a certain power that radiated off him, like the air surrounding him was filled with lighting.

"Who are you," Dean demanded

"I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from perdition," Castiel said simply, as it was the most casual thing in the world.

"Yeah. Thanks for that,"

Dean plunged the knife into the man's chest. Blood started dripping down his chest, staining the tattered trench coat. He expected a glow of orange to radiate from the man's skin. He expected a horrifying shriek in pain. He expected so sort of reaction. He did not expect a confused head tilt and almost offended stare.

He backed up as the man pulled the knife from his chest with ease, letting it fall to the floor. His eyes fixated on Dean, Bobby swung his gun to knock out the man. Without looking Castiel caught the weapon, swung Bobby around and pressed two fingers to his forehead, making him pass out instantly. Bobby crumpled to the floor as Dean ran over to him.

Castiel moved towards the stack of books lying on the table, examining one of them with seemingly great interest. Dean checked Bobby's pulse, thankfully he was still alive. Dean tried to wake him but to no avail. He glared at the man and rose from the floor.

"Your friend is alive," He said, not looking up from the book.

"Who are you?" Dean said, a bite in his voice.

"Castiel," He looked toward Dean innocently.

"Yeah, I figured that much, I mean what are you?" Dean replied, rolling his eyes.

"I'm an Angel of the Lord"

And that was their first encounter. Was Dean intimidated and just a tad scared for his life? Absolutely. Did he know that this Angel, who looked like a tax accountant, would become one of the most important figures in his life? No.

I suppose we don't really know where life will lead us when we meet someone, certainly no exceptions for angels. Dean looked back at this and smiled. It had been different back then, very different. The biggest threat they had to face was the seals breaking and the "inevitable" apocalypse. A million things had happened since then, not all of it was good, but Dean was glad he got to know more about the angel. Glad he could spend more time with him.