Chapter 4

Dean sat there for a moment before calling Castiel. He wanted to bottle his feelings and just tell the angel already, but at the same time, he wanted to just forget the entire situation and down a few bottles of beer. He decided to do the former, mostly as a silent promise to his brother, but also because he was generally curious about the situation. Let's just get this over with, he thought.

"Cas, buddy, I gotta have a word with you. Got your ears on?" Dean prayed out loud.

A moment of silence, which seemed to last an eternity, filled the room. Then a displacement of air and a flutter of wings made Dean turn. There stood the angel, his halo a few inches above his head and spinning fast. His face showed no emotion, as usual.

"Hello, Dean"

"Hey Cas, can we talk for a minute?" Dean fidgeted, his foot lightly tapping against the floor in stress.

"Of course Dean, "The angel paused, his halo spinning slightly faster. "You know I enjoy our talks. And our time together."

"I wanted to ask about what the halo meant again," Dean replied, opting to ask the angel again in the slim possibility that Castiel would grow a pair so he didn't have to.

"I told you, Dean. It is not of import," Cas answered with a warning tone and stare.

"Why won't you tell me? Are you ashamed of the answer?" Dean was standing now, and took a step towards the angel.

"No- No I am not- I'm not ashamed," Cas replied quickly, his eyes shifting to the floor. The next part he whispered quietly under his breath. He intended for Dean not to hear it; Dean heard it anyway. "Actually I'm rather thrilled."

Dean's eyes widened and breath hitched."So, thrilled to be my soulmate then? Huh," He replied playfully, hoping the nervousness in his voice didn't show.

The angel's eyes shot up to meet Dean. A thick blush overcame his face. The ring of blue fire rose up a few inches then fell back down. "How do you know about that?" Cas' eyes held Deans, hiding behind the briny blue depths was a deep fear.

Why would he be afraid?

"Sam and I looked it up," Dean said, regaining a bit of calmness after seeing that Cas was nervous and scared too. "What's the big deal about telling us?"

The man stayed quiet for a while, looking into Dean's eyes for any sign of emotion. His hands fidgeted at his sides. Cas then answered in a voice that was way smaller than someone the size of the Chrysler building.

"I did not want to burden or disappoint you with unimportant news,"

"Unimportant?" Dean said the word before he realized he even opened his mouth.

Neither man was yelling, they were actually talking quite softly to each other, but it felt like yelling. It felt like all the world's tension was bottled up and in the room at the moment. It felt like the rest of the world had dissipated.

"Because it is unimportant. You bear no feelings towards me," The angel paused. "And that is fine. It is best to be ignorant of it and move on."

Dean took a moment to think. To actually think of the situation relative to the future and rest of his life. Before Cas entered his world, it was a vicious cycle of find the monster and gank it, now though, it was much more. His life seemed to have more purpose than protect Sammy. It was having a place to call home, it was having periods of stability, it was having friends, and above all, it was having a family.