Chapter 7

Dean's hand felt good in Castiel's. He felt at home there, like that's where he was always meant to be. They stood there in silence for a few moments, the tension thicker than the Order Of The Phoenix. Both men were anxious for something to happen, though neither one moved. Dean squeezed Castiel's hand lightly, still looking into those electric blue eyes.

"Our friendship is going to change, Cas. It's going to change a lot," Dean whispered.

He was taking a risk. He could back down and keep his best friend, forgetting all this ever happened. Or he could take action, either fucking himself exponentially or finally getting his happy ending with Cas. Both options scared him.

What if this isn't what I actually want. What if this is just some stupid crush. What if Cas doesn't feel the same way. What if I lose my best friend? I can't lose him, not again. His thoughts ran through his head faster than light, all causing a sudden tightening in his chest. Oh, fuck it.

Dean did something unthinkable for someone as emotionally constipated as him. Castiel may not understand words or hints, but he sure would understand this. Dean closed the space between him and Cas, lips pressed against the angels. It was chaste and slow, not how Dean would normally kiss someone, but then again, Cas wasn't just someone.

Castiel's eyes flew wide open, completely shocked by the kiss. He then sank into it, closing his eyes and simply enjoying the moment. The kiss felt like coming home, a real home. It felt like fireworks and pure raw joy. It felt like stability and the beginning of an era. It felt wonderful, certainly one of the most remarkable feelings in the universe.

One moment the kiss the sweet and innocent, the next Dean was pressed firmly against the wall. Cas' hand was entangled in Deans hair, pulling at it with a lustful passion. The angel slid his tongue along Dean's bottom lip, a silent plea to enter. Dean moaned and as he opened his mouth, Castiel thrusted his tongue inside.

Eventually, both men disconnected, as the need for air was (barely) more urgent than the need for a kiss. Both men breathing heavy, smiles painted across their faces, actual smiles. Smiles that weren't caused by saving the world or saving someone, no artificial happiness caused after dodging the edge of the knife. This was happiness caused by something much more innocent, like when Crowley slips and busts his ass in the parking lot.

"That was, interesting," Dean panted. "Where'd you learn to kiss like that?"

"I learned that from the pizza man," Cas said slightly embarrassed.

"The pizza man!" Dean laughed, crumpling to the floor. On his descent, he grabbed Cas' wrist and pulled him down too.

They both sat on the ground smiling and laughing. The boys laid down on the floor side by side, looking into the depths of each other's eyes.

Dean never realized all the love that radiated from Castiel's eyes. He was so caught up in self-hatred, in the belief that no one could love him, he never realized someone already did. He never realized how soft Cas' voice was when speaking to him. He never realized the soft touches or careful steps. Now though they seemed so apparent to him, like they were the most obvious things in the world.

He now noticed the love in the angel's eyes, how they lit up like tiny suns in this small moment. He noticed how Cas was laughing and smiling wholeheartedly, unlike lots of other times in the past. And he loved it. He loved how the angel looked so happy and content, it made him feel happy too.

"So you aren't angry that we are soulmates?" Castiel asked in a whisper, afraid of the answer. The fear showed in his eyes, wading in the electric pools. Cas' wondered if he had gotten the wrong idea.

"No, I'm not mad," Dean asked. He paused and gulped, choking out the next few words slowly. "I-I love you, Castiel"

Cas paused and smiled, "I love you too, Dean."

Dean glanced up at the halo, the start of this entire mess. It was higher and brighter than he'd ever seen it. It spun lazily. Castiel was clearly happy, and for the first time in a long time, so was Dean. The halo might have been trouble at first but Dean was now glad he asked. He was glad he was able to be happy, at least temporarily, and that wasn't so bad.

Dean always thought destiny could go fuck itself. That was the entire reason they were still here wasn't it? The entire mission of Team Free Will was to tell destiny to fuck itself and let humanity to take its own path. But destiny often came with trouble, like nuking half the planet. Destiny often was more than a hassle to change, but they always inevitably changed it. But just this once? Dean could let "destiny" take control. He didn't mind it to be destiny that he and Cas were together. For the first time in his life, Dean Winchester was pretty damn happy destiny decided to take the wheel for a little while. 

Halo| A Destiel StoryOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara