Chapter 6

"Because it is unimportant. You bear no feelings towards me," The angel paused. "And that is fine. It is best to be ignorant of it and move on."

Dean bit his lip, reflecting on all the things he had just thought about. Do I really like Cas? As more than just a brother? Dean thought back to the way the angel made him feel. The way he felt when Cas walked into a room. The way he wanted to smile when Cas smiled. Yep, I think I definitely like him more than just a friend or brother.

Then he said something a bit daring, hoping Cas would understand what he meant. "And who says I don't?"

Castiel cocked his head to the side. "Well, you clearly exempt no feelings towards me. Also, you are attracted to women, not men, and this vessel is male. Although I could change vessels, Jimmy sacrificed his life, and personally, I do like this vessel."

Dean sighed. This was going to be harder than he thought. He wasn't the one to talk about his feelings to anyone, even his brother, but then again, Cas wasn't just anyone.

Cas was the dorky little angel who watched over the Winchesters. Cas was an absolute badass but also took time to appreciate the small things, such as bees. Cas was very smart, but couldn't understand things like wordplay. Cas was incredibly sassy, but also quite kind. Cas was a lot of things, but "just another person" was never it, and it never would be. He was different from everyone else, and that's part of what Dean loved.

"Well you aren't your vessel," Dean said, once again taking the hardest fucking route through the conversation.

"Of course not, but I like this form. A vessel of an angel bares no resemblance to the angel itself, but in a sense, this is my body now. This body-" Cas said, still not getting the point. Dean interrupted him.

"Cas, I don't care about your fucking meatsuit!" He said sternly, a tad louder than he meant.

Cas looked at him. They had been maintaining eye contact most of the conversation, but this was different. It was like the angel was looking through him rather than at him. It felt like he was looking at his entire being, not just his body. It was nerve-racking but also strangely pleasant.

"Cas, what are you doing?"

"Nothing," Cas replied, his halo continuing to swirl, this time only a tad slower.

"You're lying," Dean accused. "What are you doing, Cas?"

Cas sighed, "I am examining your soul, looking at how bright it shines. Sorry."

"Why?"

"No reason," Cas replied and Dean knew he was being sincere. "It's very bright you know, the brightest I have ever seen."

"Your halo is quite bright too," The halo rose at the compliment. " Actually it's quite beautiful. Definitely one of the prettiest things I've seen."

Dean didn't describe things as beautiful or pretty. Yes, girls were "pretty", but this was different. The halo was unearthly and eternally beautiful. It was pure and raw and untainted. It was a different kind of beauty and Dean knew it. It was the kind of beauty you could spend a lifetime describing and still not get through half of it.

"Thank you," Cas was blushing lightly now, his hands twitched slightly at his sides. "This will not affect our friendship, correct?"

"Yes, it will," Replied Dean the dumbass, trying to drop a hint. Ultimately it failed because Cas' halo dropped down as low as it could go. The angel swayed back and forth a little, his fists clenched.

"Then I guess I'll just be- I have to..." Cas responded sounding like he was about to cry, his eyes were focused on the wooden floor. "I will be going now."

Dean moved closer to the angel before he flew away. He grabbed his hand, Cas flinching at the touch and looking up in slight panic.

"Wait," Dean said softly.