Chapter 6: The Rose of Scythia

When Vicky entered Khase's tent, she saw Khase dressed in the same long robe she had worn on the day of Vicky's arrival to the camp. She was sitting on the floor. She looked up at Vicky and made a gesture inviting Vicky to sit down with her. Vicky sat down where she stood. Then Khase broke the silence.

"Greetings, traveler," she said.

"Greetings," responded Vicky.

Vicky sneaked a glance round the tent. When her eyes returned to Khase, her gaze stopped at the golden amulet embellishing the Shamaness's robe. Sitting close to Khase, Vicky could see the familiar details of an amazing craftsmanship: a female figure whose legs turned into tentacle-like formations ending in the floral ornament of a circular shape.

"I see you are interested in this," commented Khase.

"No, I just... I've seen it before ... in a museum," answered Vicky.

"Where?" asked Khase lifting her eyebrows. Khase's facial expression indicated that a museum was not a familiar term to her. Vicky had no time to speculate about how the talking stone might have translated the word to the Shamaness, nor how Vicky herself could explain what a museum was. "Never mind, I just wanted to say that I have seen it before," repeated Vicky.

"You speak in many words," observed Khase.

"Yes, I suppose I do," said Vicky.

"I mean you, travelers," specified Khase.

"Oh, you mean that I am not the only one? Were there other travelers like me here?" asked Vicky.

"Yes, there was a man before you."

"An old man?" guessed Vicky hoping that it could be her grandpa.

"Not as old as I am, but quite old. As old as Swaseeia."

"Is Swaseeia old?" asked surprised Vicky.

"She is not young anymore," followed Khase's reply.

Vicky thought that these women must have a very different perception of age. She would have said that Swaseeia was perhaps in her late twenties, older than Vicky of course, but not someone she would have considered old. Khase was the oldest inhabitant of the camp whom Vicky had met so far. She was the only woman here who was over fifty.

"Well, what about yourself then," thought Vicky silently mocking Khase, "you must be ancient then." Aloud she said: "So there was a traveler like me, of about Swaseeia's age. I wonder who he was."

"It was after his visit that Skeleiei's belt disappeared," said Khase, "we think he took it."

"But, there was no old man then. A very old man, older than you?"

"I saw a very old man in a trance once. The same way that Skeleiei saw you."

An idea sprang into Vicky's mind.

"Really? Do you think you could recognize him if I showed him to you again?" asked Vicky hopefully. "Only," Vicky hesitated, "I don't have my bag with me. I need my bag. Can I go fetch it?"

"There is no need," said Khase calmly. She clapped her hands twice and Swaseeia appeared. "Bring Wagma's belongings," ordered Khase.

"Right away," answered Swaseeia in her usual energetic manner.

"It's in your... " Swaseeia disappeared before Vicky gave the location of the backpack. Vicky pronounced the aimless "tent", finishing her sentence just for the sake of it. The sound of the galloping horse followed almost immediately after Swaseeia's departure.