Chapter 8: Worship

When Serahwe and Swaseeia departed for the assistance for Éroros Oqos, Skeleiei and Khase also disappeared. Vicky was left with Éroros Oqos alone again. The girls sat in the grass waiting for the others to return.

"Where are Skeleiei and Khase gone?" asked Vicky curious of their disappearance.

"To the camp to choose the participants for the ceremony," answered Éroros Oqos.

"So the ceremony, what is it all about?" asked Vicky feeling that she somehow has to prepare for it since she already been assigned a part to play in it.

"I will be playing Tabbitti, and the others will be dancing around me," answered Éroros Oqos in her usual concise manner.

"Tabbitti is your Goddess, right?"

"Yes."

"So what's she like then?" asked Vicky trying to elicit more details from the girl.

"She is the ever young protector of all living things. She is the Goddess of fire, of life and of motherhood," answered the girl, "look here." Éroros Oqos pointed at her quiver, which was still strapped onto her back. "Do you see her?" she asked, "That's Tabbitti."

Vicky saw that Éroros Oqos's quiver was decorated with a skillfully made applique. The pieces of skin attached to the quiver depicted a female standing, with a dog and a bird to her sides.

"Why are there a dog and a bird around her?" asked Vicky.

"It is a crow," said Éroros Oqos pointing at the bird, "they are her favorites, but she also likes horses," answered the girl. "When we worship," continued Éroros Oqos, "we make sounds like horses do with their hoofs when they are running."

"Why the horse if her favorites are the dog and the crow?" asked curious Vicky.

"Because the horse is our speed, our strength and the victory over our enemies," said Éroros Oqos.

"What did Skeleiei mean, when she said that it will be irregular to hold the ceremony here?" asked Vicky.

"It is because we usually find a place in the steppe where there is a birch tree. Then we hang a robe on the branches, and it is the tree that represents Tabbitti. Today I will be dressed to play Tabbitti," the girl explained.

"Oh so you have these special, kind of, sacred places for worship?"

"No," answered the girl looking perplexed, "all places are equally sacred to us."

"Do you mean that you find a new place for each ceremony?" asked Vicky.

"Yes," said Éroros Oqos.

"But you regard the cave as sacred, don't you?"

"This is because of the drawings," explained the girl, "They are from our ancestors."

"How do you know that? You've said that you don't know who drew them. What if it's some neighboring camp that drew them?"

"No," said the girl firmly, "they are from the ancestors. They must be."

"How can you be so sure?" insisted Vicky in an attempt to understand the girl's reasoning.

"You are the oracle," Éroros Oqos replied, "don't you know that the rocks represent the kingdom of the dead?"

"Oh that," said Vicky, although Éroros Oqos's explanation made no sense to her, but to assure the girl she added: "Of course I know that."

The clatter of the horse hoofs once again announced the approach of the camp women. Just as Skeleiei ordered, Swaseeia and Serahwe returned with three other warrior-attired women. The women went straight to business redressing Éroros Oqos into a long robe, combing her long blond hair, in which they then braided some branches of birch tree. Éroros Oqos was holding a piece of cloth embroidered with animal motifs, which Vicky found out to be an important ritual accessory specially made for the ceremonies. Without her warrior dress Éroros Oqos looked very different. Vicky thought that she really did look like a deity now.