Chapter 9: The Men of Scythia

The sound of a galloping horse ripped to pieces the silence of the morning steppe. A messenger was on her way to the camp while its inhabitants were still fast asleep. Vicky woke up of the sounds of a commotion in Swaseeia's and Serahwe's tent where she had now become quite accustomed to sleeping. When she opened her eyes, she saw the couple hastily getting dressed and decided to do the same.

"What's wrong?" asked Vicky fastening her belt.

"There are male emissaries on their way to the camp," explained Swaseeia, "we are to receive them with Skeleiei and Khase."

"Can I come too?"

"Yes, but hurry!" said Swaseeia who now was fully dressed and ready to go.

After several days of her stay in the camp, Vicky appreciated the practical value of these women's hairdos. In the world where a comb was a luxury enjoyed only by the nobility of the tribe, wearing one's long hair in a braid was the best way of keeping knots out of it. In an emergency like this, the practical hairstyle also made it possible for Vicky to get ready to join the camp women quickly.

When Vicky got out of the tent, an amazing sight awaited her. The way the tents and craftsmen's stations were arranged in the camp, a quite large area in the middle of the camp was left unoccupied for the important social gatherings, like on the night of Vicky's own arrival or as in this case, in an event of meeting a delegation of outsiders. Slightly blinded by the bright morning sun, Vicky saw Skeleiei in the middle of the square heading a reception committee of warrior women mounted on their horses; accept for Khase, who in her usual long Shamaness's dress was standing on the ground to Skeleiei's right. Swaseeia and Serahwe, likewise mounted now, were just behind Skeleiei.

What contributed to the grandeur of this sight was that Skeleiei seemed mounted not on a horse, but on an enormous deer. A magnificent beautifully executed ornamented saddle decorated the deer's back. When Vicky moved closer to the group and was able to turn her head, so her eyesight was no longer blinded by the sun, she realized that Skeleiei was mounted on her usual horse after all, only for the occasion, a mask with a peculiar arrangement in a shape of deer horns rested on the horse's head. From what Vicky could see, these embellishments were made of red felt, making Skeleiei's horse noticeable even from a distance.

Vicky saw Éroros Oqos mounted on Gergo and headed towards her. Éroros Oqos offered her hand to help Vicky mount her horse. Vicky carefully stroke Gergo's nose to seek the horse's consent. Gergo greeted Vicky with a soft blow on her hand.

"Hello Gergo," she whispered into the horse's ear. She then gave Éroros Oqos her hand and mounted the horse.

The reception committee seemed to be ready in its place. A blond horsewoman approached Skeleiei to receive the instructions and rode away.

"What's happening?" whispered Vicky excitedly.

"The messenger is gone to bring the emissaries. We are ready for them now," answered Éroros Oqos.

"Who is this messenger? How did she find out about them?" whispered Vicky.

"We take turns guarding the outskirts of the camp. Anyone approaching it has to get past the guards before they are allowed to enter," explained Éroros Oqos.

"I see. That's clever."

"These ones wanted to see Skeleiei. It is dangerous," the girl continued.

Vicky had no doubt that the camp women considered the outsiders dangerous. As soon as two horsemen became visible in the passage leading to the square, Swaseeia, Serahwe and several other horsewomen, including Éroros Oqos, drew their bows and aimed at the men. The men seemed unarmed - or else their weapons had been taken away from them before they were allowed to appear before Skeleiei - which was why to Vicky it seemed unnecessary that the women should be so alarmed by their visit.