4: Like a Punch in the Face

A VOICE CALLED ME BACK FROM THE HAZE OF A DAYDREAM. I snapped back to reality, my eyes focusing on golden irises. An amused smile was tugging at the corners of Dio's lips, just hinting a smile. Dio knew what I was about to ask. Before I'd even opened my mouth, he was responding to my unspoken question. "I asked what you thought about the book," he said.

I glanced down at the table where a book lay open to what looked like its final pages. I skimmed the contents and found them familiar. It was Frankenstein; I'd read it already. Dio had a thirst for knowledge that had him frequenting the library. Although we had only met a few days ago, I felt as though I already knew Dio through the books he enjoyed. We'd even begun to read together. It was a slower process, but it meant that we could discuss the book without fear of spoiling each other.

"I thought it was a sad story," I said. "Frankenstein's monster did not ask to be born the way he was, but he found himself isolated since his creation. He simply wanted a companion who might understand him, but Frankenstein destroyed that one chance at happiness. Perhaps the monster was doomed to be alone ever since his creation. Even the one who made him abandoned him without hesitation . . .

"So you sympathize with the monster," Dio hummed. "I suppose I can understand that. I just wonder how you reached that conclusion when we're not even halfway through the book yet."

I looked at him blankly before I understood what he meant. "I knew you weren't paying attention," Dio chuckled at my expression. "If you were, you would have seen me skimming through to the end of the book before I asked you that question. But it appears you've already read this book. You could have said that earlier."

My face flushed with embarrassment. "Sorry," I said. "I didn't mean to spoil the book for you."

"It's alright, I didn't find it particularly interesting anyways." Dio said. "I think Frankenstein was a fool and a coward. He created that monster, but then he ran from it until there was nowhere else to turn. He should have just killed the beast instead of running away."

"So you don't sympathise with the monster?" I asked.

"I guess I feel sorry that his creator was so horrid."

I chuckled. This was what I enjoyed about reading with Dio. Whether our opinions were similar, completely contrasting, or a mix of both, Dio's thoughts were always interesting. "I think you should finish the book," I said. "You might end up liking it after all. It depends on your sense of justice."

"I'll pass. I think you've already spoiled it for me," Dio said.

"I didn't! You're not even at the part where the monster tells his side of the story!"

"There you go, spoiling it again!" Dio exclaimed, throwing up his hands in mock exasperation. Our laughter harmonized in the air for a moment before fading into a silence that was promptly broken. "Now, are you going to tell me what's been on your mind? It clearly wasn't the book."

"Well . . . I shouldn't meddle in family affairs, but Jonathan thinks you hate him."

"That's what's bothering you?"

"Yes, I know it's stupid," I sighed, "but I think you two would be able to get along well if you try. I just can't understand what's stopping you from being friends."

"I believe it's because JoJo is jealous." Dio said. "My higher grades and more refined manners have certainly caught father's attention. JoJo confronted me for all the praise I've been receiving from father."

I frowned. That didn't sound like Jonathan at all. He'd been trying so hard to get Dio to like him despite the blonde's cold-shoulder responses. If anything, Jonathan would probably congratulate his brother for his accomplishments rather than confronting him.