11: Venomous

EARLY IN THE MORNING TWO DAYS LATER, DIO KNOCKED ON MY DOOR. It was an unexpected visit, since he said he'd be busy for a while. I barely had time to take in his appearance before he enveloped me in a one-armed embrace.

I returned his embrace automatically. Dio wasn't shy about expressing his affection for me, so I'd learned to appreciate it when I could. But this hug felt different. It felt like he was clinging to me out of worry rather than the desire to hold me.

"D-Dio . . . ?"

"Please," Dio said. "Just let me hold you a while longer."

I obliged his request, quietly rubbing his back in what I hoped was a comforting manner. Something told me he needed that. When Dio pulled away, he gave me a small smile. "Thank you," he said.

"Do you feel better now?" I asked.

"Yes, a lot better." Dio said. He straightened and then his face twisted in pain and his right hand flew to his opposite shoulder.

"Dio! What's wrong?" I asked.

Dio chuckled. "Well, I believe I'm in need of medical attention," he answered. "My collarbone is broken."

"W-what?! Why didn't you say that earlier? Or go to a doctor?" I ushered Dio inside and had him sit on the couch. I wasn't a doctor, but I knew how to tie a sling for Dio's arm. "That's the best I can do." I said. "You should go to a real doctor after this."

"I will," Dio said. "Thank you."

"Now, can you tell me what happened?" I asked.

Dio nodded. "Some drunkards were angry that I bumped into them on the street," he explained to me. "They attacked me and I was injured in the scuffle."

I frowned. Dio was a skilled fighter even when he was younger. Those skills had only grown with age. He shouldn't have had any trouble fighting some drunk men. But I guess these weren't normal men if Dio had sustained such a heavy injury.

"Why didn't you go to the doctor?" I asked.

"I didn't think about that, I just . . . I wanted to see you," he said. As flattering as that was, I would have been happier if he'd gone to a doctor first. I was about to voice my thoughts when Dio continued. "At some point during the fight, I thought I was going to die."

Those words made me freeze and my heart skipped a beat in my chest. Suddenly I was reminded that Dio and I were different. Dio could die and I would never see him again. If he died, that was the end. My time with him was limited. My heart clenched painfully in my chest. I had always known that, but it was so easy to forget when he was by my side.

Dio continued speaking, unaware of the distress his words had caused me. "My collarbone was broken and that thing was upon me. I could feel the power leaving my body. I thought there were many things I wasn't able to do. I had so many plans that were never fulfilled. I was afraid that everything I'd done until now would all be for nothing. But then I thought of you. Suddenly I wasn't afraid of dying, I was afraid I'd never see you again. All of the memories I had with you flashed through my head. Suddenly I couldn't help but think of you. I wanted to see you; I couldn't die before seeing you again. After the fight, I came here without thinking." Dio said. "I just had to hold you and know that you weren't lost. I've never been so afraid of losing someone before. Even when my own mother lay on the floor taking her final breaths, I never felt this way . . ."

I hugged Dio as he trailed off, tears watering in his eyes. "Don't cry," I said. I was worried for Dio, but as he voiced his thoughts, a feeling of happiness warmed my body. He cared for me enough to think of me during what he believed to be his final moments. Right now, I just wanted to care for him. "I'm not going anywhere. I'm so glad you're alright."