5: It's a Date

DIO APOLOGIZED FOR HIS ACTIONS DURING THE BOXING MATCH. Jonathan and I forgave him, of course, and the boys hadn't fought since. I knew there was still some anger between them, but everything seemed like it had gone back to normal. Well, for the most part. The brothers' conflict might have been settled, but Dio had already turned all of Jonathan's friends against him. JoJo would have been lonely if not for a cute, blonde haired girl named Erina Pendleton.

Erina was a very sweet, shy girl. We had gotten to talk a little, mostly about Jonathan. I could tell she was completely in love him, even at this young age. It was cute, really. The two quickly began dating with a bit of a nudge from me. She and Jonathan were an adorable couple. They were so pure and their personalities seemed to compliment each other perfectly. I'd never believed in soulmates, but these two sure seemed like a perfect match for each other.

Most days, Jonathan would be out on a date with Erina. So I naturally gravitated back to Dio, my only other friend. Today, I found the blonde sitting in the tree by the river. It was a bit strange that Dio had chosen to sit at Jonathan's usual spot. I'd just assumed Dio would try to avoid it since he and Jonathan didn't get along, but I was apparently wrong.

Dio had chosen to relax on one of the lower branches of the tree, leaning against the trunk with one leg pulled up to prop up a book while the other hung down, swinging lightly in the breeze. The sunlight shone through the tree leaves, speckling his body with patches of light and shadow.

Feeling my gaze, his head lifted and his gaze locked with mine. I gave him a small smile of greeting and he gave me a wave in return, beckoning me closer. His eyes followed me as I made my way towards him. "All alone again today, Freya?" Dio asked once I was within earshot.

"Yes," I said. A carving on the trunk of the tree caught my eyes and I walked closer to examine it. A heart was carved roughly into the bark. Inside the heart, 2 names were carved in jagged strokes: JoJo and Erina. I smiled as I brushed my fingers over the symbol, "How sweet."

Dio closed his book and jumped down from the branch, landing in a graceful crouch by the roots of the oak. He peered over my shoulder to see what had stolen my attention from him. Then, he crossed his arms over his chest, seeming less than impressed by JoJo's show of affection for Erina. "Yes, those two are rather close aren't they."

I ignored the tone of annoyance in his voice. He was probably just jealous, I told myself. "They really like each other. I bet they'll get married in the future." I said.

"I doubt it," Dio said. Then his lips curled into a smirk. "I bet they'll break up soon."

I shot Dio a disapproving frown. "Why are you always like this? I know you don't like Jonathan, but is it really that awful if he's happy?"

Dio shrugged and redirected the subject. "Father gave JoJo and I two carnival tickets each. He said we should bring our friends with us. Jonathan took Erina, of course. I thought if he won't take you, I will."

"So you're inviting me to the carnival?" I asked.

"Yes."

"I don't see you as the amusement park kind of person."

In fact, I couldn't imagine Dio was the type to go to a carnival at all. I tried to imagine him playing carnival games or screaming as he's on a roller coaster. Nope. I couldn't even see Dio in a roller coaster. But the thought itself made me want to go. So I said, "I'll go with you."

Dio smiled. "Excellent."

And that was how we ended up at the carnival, strapped into a roller coaster. It was the first time Dio had ever been on one and he seemed less than amused. "I don't see how this is fun," he stated bluntly.