8: Questions of Love

JONATHAN'S FAVORITE SPOT BY THE RIVER BECAME A PLACE HE NO LONGER FREQUENTED. The heart he had carved into the bark of the tree remained a bittersweet reminder of the love he and Erina shared. A love that was like a book closed and shelved before reaching a conclusive ending. When Jonathan visited this spot, all he could think about was the life he had before Dio arrived. The symbol carved into the tree with childish love was just another reminder of what Dio had taken away. A reminder of the times that might have never ended, but did so abruptly..

About 6 years ago, Dio and I had claimed the spot as ours. Jonathan didn't seem to care, having been unable to sit beneath the tree without thinking of Danny and Erina and all the friends he'd lost because of Dio. I felt sorry that I held that spot by the river so close to my heart when the sight of it would make Jonathan's heart wrench in his chest. But even so, I found the area relaxing and peaceful. It was the perfect place to sit and read.

It was at this moment that a shadow fell across my lap, making it difficult to read the words of my book. I looked up, already knowing who was disturbing me. "You took your time," I said, tucking a bookmark between the pages of my book and closing it.

"Sorry I took longer than I expected," Dio said. He offered me a hand and helped me up from my spot on the ground. "I had to talk with father for a while," Dio continued as I folded my belongings into my satchel. "He congratulated our win. Oh, be still for a moment," Dio said suddenly. "There's a leaf in your hair."

"Where?" I asked, combing my fingers through my hair.

Dio stepped forward and reached out, his fingertips brushing mine as he tugged the leaf free from my hair. I blinked in surprise at his closeness and contact. All too soon, his featherlight touch was gone.

"There," he said. He tossed the leaf aside. It fluttered to the ground softly, spinning as it caught the light breeze. My heart made a similar motion in my chest as the surprise wore away.

"Ah, thanks," I said, flustered from his sudden gesture. I glanced up shyly at Dio to find him looking at me with a strange expression. His eyes half lidded as he gazed down at me. I felt a strange pull, urging me towards him . . . "I-is there something else in my hair?" I asked, breaking the spell.

Dio seemed surprised, blinking a few times before he answered. "No," he said, almost breathlessly. He lingered for a moment, seeming unsure whether or not he wanted to speak. He decided not to, turning around and calling back to me. "Let's go." He said.

I walked by his side. "Where are we going?" I inquired. We hadn't decided officially, but Dio seemed to be walking with a purpose.

"Somewhere," Dio answered. "You'll see."

Well obviously, I thought. I'd expected a more definite answer, but Dio didn't seem like he wanted to elaborate any more. I sighed. He was right. I'd find out where we were headed eventually.

"You could have just said you wanted ice cream," I chuckled as we entered a small ice cream parlor.

"That would have ruined the surprise," Dio said.

I raised an eyebrow. "I thought this was a reward for you, not me." Dio just shrugged in a way that said it didn't matter. "I didn't think you liked sweet foods," I added.

"I don't particularly care for them, but I'll eat them on certain occasions." Dio said.

It appeared that today was one of those occasions. We bought our ice cream and sat down at one of the small tables in the shop. For someone who claimed not to like sweets, Dio seemed to be savoring his chocolate ice cream.

"Dio? What do you think about Andrew Hyde?"

"He's nice I suppose." Dio answered vaguely, spooning ice cream into his mouth.