Imladris and Ellons

Eventually, after all the laughter and fun, we gather the bodies and burn them. The stench is horrific and the smoke can be seen for miles. Once done we travel for another league or two before turning in for the night. After another twenty uneventful days of travel, the hooves of our horses clack against the stone entryway of Imladris. "Glorfindel!" I notice the distinctly golden head of my friend and sort of uncle, it's complicated.

Glorfindel's head rises from the book he is reading. He turns in his path and heads our direction. "Why little one, what brings you here?" He gives a small smile, blue eyes meeting mine. "Have you come to place yourself amongst a quest perhaps?"

"You know me so well, Glorfindel." I dismount and embrace the blonde elf. "Have you seen my brother recently. My mother insisted I pass along her affections."

Glorfindel chuckles, "This I would greatly enjoy seeing. But alas, I am so enthralled by my book that I must continue it. I believe I last saw Elrond amongst his gardens."

"Thank you, my friend." I turn toward my fellow travelers, "Let us go board the horses." The stables in Imladris are beautiful, as is much of the city. The white stone walls keep everything bright, while the pale blue or navy accents make the city feel comfortable and homey. With the horses stabled, I journey to find Elrond.

The twists and turns of the city are almost second nature to me. My sister, having married Elrond, would have me over for centuries at a time. And while I continued weapons training, my sister, Celebrian, taught me many things. Even between my studies and my weaponry I still found time to explore. One of my favorite places are the gardens Elrond had made for my sister. The gardens are peaceful and beautiful. Upon entering the gardens a memory of my sister flashes through my mind. I smile and continue on my journey to find my brother.

After asking many other ellons and elleths I am pointed to Elrond. He sits in a room with a dark-haired Hobbit. The Hobbit is covered with blankets and looks to be sweating profusely. Elrond is chanting an ancient healing hymn. I quietly add my voice to combine my strength and compassion to the words. The illness the young Hobbit has is very strong and not willing to lose its hold. We chant and sing for several hours. Eventually, there is a break in the grip of the illness. Elrond places herbs on a wound and gives the little Hobbit a healing tea. He leads me out of the room.

"Sister, thank you for your help. Without you, I do believe I would have been singing for several hours more." Elrond looks tired and worn, his dark hair hangs limp and his grey eyes look dull.

I gently hug Elrond. "You are most welcome. What ails the young Hobbit?"

"He was pierced by a Morgul blade."

I gasp, "The riders have been missing from the land for many years. What calls them back?"

Elrond looks at me softly. "Their master calls them home. The ring resurfaced 60 years ago. They have been on the hunt since then." We turn to walk down the hall, toward Elrond's study. "This Hobbit was traveling along with Estel and three other Hobbits. They were sent here by Mithrandir from Hobbiton. Arwen went to retrieve Frodo once he was injured at Weathertop." We enter the study. It is still situated in the same manner as last time I was here. A desk sits in front of an open window, facing the door. The walls are lined with bookshelves, which are filled to the brim. A fireplace is off to my right, there is no fire currently. I remember sitting on the rug nestled before a fire studying.

"Mithrandir and Estel are here?" It has been many decades since I have seen either male. Mithrandir I saw 60 years ago here in Imladris, at the time he was accompanied by 12 Dwarves and a Hobbit. Estel I saw on the road about 30 years ago.