〚5〛

『 4 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘴 𝘭𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳 』

corbyn was now ten years old and in the fifth grade. he still had jonah with him everywhere he went.

jonah still went to school with corbyn everyday, loving it. the fifth grade was easy for corbyn, and today they'd be learning about his favorite topic; stars.

"mrs. tegro, i know all about the stars." corbyn raised his hand as he spoke, not bothering to wait to be called on. jonah sat next to corbyn in the same chair, watching him as he spoke.

"that's nice, corbyn. please raise your hand next time, okay?" the teacher spoke before going back to reading the text about stars.

corbyn found this boring. he knew about all of this stuff. how the stars were made, the big bang, blah blah blah. he hated it.

his chin rested on his hand as he looked straight ahead at his friend, jack.

jonah, being bored also, tapped corbyn on the shoulder.

"corbyn, i'm bored."

"me too, jo." he spoke.

"do you want to play with the cars on the rug?" jonah asked, eyeing down the cars that sat still on the blue rug.

"jo, we'll get in trouble." corbyn spoke, still not understanding that nobody else could see jonah. well, besides daniel. just a year ago, jack and zach could no longer see jonah.

for a while, jonah was sad that he had lost two of his best friends, but soon realized that he still had two more.

"it's okay. i'll take the blame."

"but then you'll—"

"i'm fine with getting in trouble if it means you won't be bored." jonah spoke.

"fine, let's go." corbyn pulled jonah up with him, ignoring daniel's whispers for them to sit back down.

they made their way over to the cars. corbyn sat down, taking two of the cars in his hands. he pressed them together making clashing noises, then rolled them on the ground with a quiet sound, imitating a car driving.

"corbyn besson, get back in your seat now!" the teacher spoke sternly.

"but i've already learned this stuff, it's boring." corbyn whined.

"i will not put up with you today, corbyn. get back in your seat." the teacher harshly spoke, pointing to his seat. corbyn wouldn't admit it, but this made him frightened.

"but— jonah made me do it." corbyn spoke as jonah nodded.

"there is no jonah in this classroom. come on, don't let your imagination run so wild, corbyn." mrs. tegro began walking towards the frightened boy.

"he told me to do it, i promise. he's right here." corbyn's eyes became glossy as the class laughed. in his peripherals he saw daniel look at him with look of sorrow and sympathy.

"corbyn, come with me. you're going to the principal's office." the teacher harshly grabbed corbyn by the arm, pulling him up.

"but— i promise. i didn't do it! i didn't i swear! let me go, please!" corbyn began to cry.

"mrs, please! i did it! don't take him!" jonah yelled, but nobody heard. only daniel and corbyn.

"mrs. tegro, he didn't do it. he would never do it." daniel spoke swiftly as he followed the teacher to the door, corbyn's sobbing figure in her arms.

"i'm sorry, daniel. i am not putting up with his attitude today. you'll see him on the weekend i'm sure."

"on the weekend! that's in two days! why not tomorrow?"

"i'm sure with an attitude like this, he'd get suspended." the teacher spoke one last time before shutting the door.

the kids began to whisper to eachother. daniel was left standing with jonah as he put his head down.

"he didn't even do anything." he muttered.

jonah places an arm around his slightly shorter friend, comforting the small boy.

"he'll be fine, i'm sure of it. in the mean time, do you wanna go play with the cars?" daniel shook his head.

⇷ ⇸

"corbyn." his mother spoke sternly as he sat in the back seat of her car.

"don't tell daddy that i
got suspended, please." corbyn spoke as he dragged out the 'e'.

"he has to know corbyn. you were being a bad boy today."

"but, i'm sorry mommy. jonah—"

"mom!" corbyn yelled in realization.

"corbyn! don't do that! do you want me to crash this car?!"

"i'm sorry mommy. i'm sorry i disappointed you, but we forgot jonah!" corbyn cried.

"corbyn, i'm sure he'll be back later around dinner. he'll get back home." she lowered her voice.

"how?"

"he'll figure it out, i promise."