Chapter 17: Intruder Alert

The sun crept into your eyes as you woke up. You rub your eyes with your left hand, your right hand tucked under the pillow.

"Mornin', sunshine." Negan says, his voice deeper than usual.

"Jesus, did you go through puberty overnight?" you chuckle.

He groans slightly, removing his arm from your shoulder down to your waist, pressing your body closer to his.

"Don't bullshit me, princess. This voice is what you look forward to waking up to." he smiles.

"Oh, please. You wish." you roll your eyes, sitting up on the bed.

Negan sits on the edge of the bed, stretching his arms. Slowly, you get off the bed, making your way to the bathroom.

"Wait," Negan stops you, grabbing your wrist gently.

You slowly turn around. Negan stands up.

"Are you sure you're alright? I mean, after last night?" he asks, placing one hand on your back, one holding your left hand.

You clear your throat.

"I'm--Im fine. Sorry about.. last night." you ramble.

"Just wanted to make sure you're okay." 

You nod confidently, making Negan smile.

"Alright." he says, letting you go.

You back up slowly, turning around.

"Hey, you think this place has running water?" you ask, walking into the bathroom.

"Doubt it." Negan says making his way downstairs to grab his jacket and shirt.

You walk to the tub, crossing your fingers as your hand floats to the knob. You slowly move it to the right. Suddenly, warm water flows through the shower head.

Thank god for that.

You smile, keeping the shower running and shutting the bathroom door. You look around, opening a cabinet.

It has one white towel and a single bar of soap.

What luck, huh?

You place the towel on the sink, putting the soap in the shower. You undress, placing your clothes and your knife next to the towel. As soon as you feel the warm water, your entire body seems to relax.

You take your time, letting out your hair to feel the warm water rush through. Minutes into your shower you hear the door open and close. You peek your face out of the curtains.

"Negan, what the hell are you doing?" you shout.

"Turn off the water." he whispers.

"What? Why?"

"Just do it."

You turn the water off, your hair still dripping wet. You suddenly hear people yelling outside.

"Who's that?" You whisper.

Negan shrugs, gripping Lucille tightly in his gloved hand. You hear a heavy footsteps rushing upstairs. Negan quickly steps away from the door, stepping into the tub with you.

"Negan!" you whisper-yell, feeling your face turn dark red.

He puts his finger to his lips, a smirk visible on his face. You quickly cover yourself, reaching out of the curtain to grab the towel. You wrap it around yourself.

"There's a bedroom in here!" one man yells.

"No shit, dumbass. It's a house." another says, his voice more southern-sounding than the other.

"Negan, what the hell-"

"Just be quiet, alright?"

You nod, your eyes wandering the bathroom.

"Hey, Doug. I think someone's been sleepin' in here." the man in the bedroom says.

"Well, Tom, this is our property now." the southern man yells.

You freeze. You never really got scared, but this--this scared the living shit out of you. You can feel your breathing quicken as your fear boiled into overwhelming anxiety.

 Negan looks at you, turning his body to face yours. He grabs your upper arms gently, turning your body to face him. Unintentionally, your eyes wander in sporadic movements. Negan grabs your jaw.

 Negan grabs your jaw

Your gaze eventually meets Negan's.

"These assholes won't do anything; I've got you, okay?" he says slowly, making sure every word didn't go in through one ear and out the other.

You nod slowly, your breathing still going alarmingly fast.

"Hey Doug! I'm gon' check out the shitter!"

You tense up once again, hearing the boots make their way to the door.

"Hey-" Negan says in almost an inaudible whisper.

You look up at him.

"We're okay."

You face the curtain again when the bathroom door swings open.

"Well I'll be damned; these be women's clothes." the man chuckles.

The man picks up the clothes one by one examining them, before shutting the door quietly. You could hear the door lock. Before you could think, Negan quickly opens the curtain pointing the gun straight at the man's head. Startled, the man drops the clothes, holding his hands up.

"Yell and you'll get a bullet right into your fuckin' head." Negan says sternly.

The man starts breathing faster and faster, nodding his head rapidly.

Negan steps out of the tub, grabbing your clothes and throwing them to you.

"Get dressed quickly, we gotta go."

You nod, closing the curtain and getting dressed as fast as humanly possible. Negan kept the man in his spot, watching his every movement.

"Tommy, where are you? Stacy's worried."

Negan nods his head toward the door, signaling the man to say something to his buddy.

"I-I-Im in here, Doug. Just--just using the bathroom." he stutters.

A muffled groan is heard outside the door.

"Well, hurry up." the man says, his voice fading away.

"Will do."