Memories

Adesua jerked out of bed, with her eyes shining wide like torch light to her moonlighted room. She was sweating profusely, panting in fear and gulping as her unsteady eyes ransacked her room.

It took a few seconds before she realized, it was just a nightmare. The same reoccurring nightmare she's been having for the past 7 years after the death of her best friend.

She placed her palm across her face, rubbed her forehead and let out a relieved sigh. Her eyes searched around the room and to the alarm clock. It was 3a.m in the morning.

She closed her eyes and slowly breathed in and out. She switched on the bed lamp and proceeded to drink the covered glass of water on the bedside table.

       Her mind ran back to her memories, recollecting what happened that night

"BOOM!"

She gasped in fear as her heart left her chest and the journal escaped her hands. Her eyes stared wide open as dribbles of rain clogged her lashes and ran down her face. She could hear her heart banging loudly from her chest and she could feel her rapid breathing flowing in and out of her lungs. Her trembling eyes looked down at the horror before her.

It was Eloy, laying in a pool of his own blood. A smoking gun seated in his hand and his finger placed on the trigger.

A blend of fear and grief twisted her stomach as tears flooded her eyes. She dropped to the ground, tugging at his chest and shaking him.

"Help!!"

"Someone help me!!!" she screamed in a wavering voice.

"Please help me!!!" she sobbed uncontrollably as she cupped his face, as though she wanted to put it back together.

"Eloy please..."

"Please, wake up. Please"

"You promised we'd be best friends forever remember?"

"Please, wake up" she cried out to him, but he remained lifeless.

Her head scanned around, but there was no one around to help. Her parents were on a trip and everyone in the neighbourhood she guessed was either asleep or just didn't want trouble. A bright light shone in her direction. She lifted her head to see the pupil piercing light drawing closer. She stood up quickly, cleaned her face with her bloody palms and wiped her palms on her already soaked and bloody night gown. She ran to the middle of the road, waving her hand and screaming for help.

"Please I beg you, help me. My friend needs medical attention." she pleaded.

The driver poked his head out his window and look at the lifeless body, he rushed out and they carried the body together into the car. He used two fingers to touch the corpse by the neck. He looked at Adesua and back at the body.

"Ma, this guy is already de—"

"—no, no, don't even say it. He's not dead alright?" she cut in, tensed and with a quavering voice.

"Let's just get him to the hospital. He'd be fine."

He looked at Adesua, his expression clouded with sympathy before he got into the car and drove them to the hospital. The whole ride, her neck twisted to the back every second to check on Eloy.

She quivered back to her consciousness, rubbed her face with her palms and took a deep breath. She opened her bedside drawer and stared at the journal laying there, looking all dusty and old. It had been 7 years. 7 years since Eloy handed her the journal and shot himself, 7 years since he was declared dead at the hospital and 7 years since she has been trying to deal with the fear of what story lies within the journal.

She picked up the journal and stared at it, her mind flooding with blissful moments she and Eloy shared together. She thought, maybe it was finally time to let him go, but she also knew that would never be possible if she remained clueless to the story that lies within the words written in the journal.

She took a deep breath and untied the rope around it as she walked to her reading table. It was time, time to know what pain he felt and to feel it to.

"I think I'm finally ready" she said as she flipped through the pages of the journal.