Genesis

Adesua spent weeks going through his journal, his everyday experience. Some she found as annoying as he did and others she found funny.

All these time, she felt like he was still alive. As though he was just a phone call away and his memories was the key to reach out to him, to communicate and connect once again with her best friend.

The huge void she felt was filled with the whispers of his voice she could hear in the words written in the journal. She read a page every day and gradually the loneliness that was once eating her up, began to feel substantial.

Right after work, Adesua returned home. Not bothering to freshen up after the long day, she relaxed on the sofa, pulled the journal from her bag and began perusing.

I was seating in a lecture room, H401 precisely. Jejely trying to make sense of the mathematics I was calculating. All of a sudden I began to hear clicking shoe sounds draw closer to my direction. And when the sound stopped, I heard someone say hi to me with a conversational tone. Her voice was calm, confident but yet sensitive.

However, when I raised my head to return the greeting, I saw what beauty really was. Her round face wore innocence like a veil, her confidence was written in the bold smile across her face. Her brown skin glow was blinding, her full black hair was parked in a puff and her edges laid so curly and smoothly like noodles on a plate. Her bold upturned coffee brown eyes were welcoming and her full heart shaped lips didn't fail to carry a strawberry colour. Even without make up, her beauty was captivating.

After I returned the greeting, we began small talk, which unpredictably turned into a whole conversation. She was the real definition of "beauty and brains". She happens to be good in a course I have been finding hard and without me asking, she offered to tutor. What intrigued me was how well we got along, it felt as though we had known each other for the longest time. I never actually thought I would be able to relate with anyone in this hell hole, let alone a beautiful girl.

Adesua rolled her eyes in a hint of jealousy and irritation as she flipped over the page.

Ken has been saying a lot of shit lately, he's hyping me up for something that doesn't even exist. In his words and I quote "Guy that girl is low-key mad over you, I mean, see the way she looks at you. It's pretty obvious, you can't say you don't notice. E be like say na people were dey frown face na em good thing dey follow." He hypes me up and mocks me at the same time.

Wondering how I can choose to ignore a fine ass girl like her, he intentionally fails to realize that, WE ARE JUST FRIENDS and she's older than me. I do already have my heart set on someone, although I'm scared if I tell her, I might lose her. And our friendship matters more to me than my feelings.

A touch of a smile brightened Adesua's features and she found herself asking two questions; why? And who?

She is pretty, but I do not find her attractive in that way. Over the weeks we've grown fonder, I've also gotten better at ARC119 with her help. Besides a girl as hot as she is, probably has a line of guys at her beck and call. She wouldn't leave guys in 300 level like herself to settle for a 100 level boy, a girl like her obviously would have standards.

Adesua went to her room. Under her bed, she drew out a chest were she had safely stacked away photos and belongings of Eloy from the night he came over. She went through the photos, her eyes glossing up and her heart gladdened with each photo. She came across his leather hoodie, the same hoodie she had taken back from the hospital when he was declared dead by the doctors.

She closed her eyes and sniffed it, like she was savouring the smell of his cologne and just as her nose filled with his smell, her heart filled with his presence. She opened her eyes and held the jacket out, displaying it fully before herself.

Her eyes looked around it with her mouth curved into a smile. That smile faded when her eyes came across the hook of a female necklace and her forehead puckered in confusion. She put her hand into the pocket and picked out the necklace. The pendant was a big gold A decorated with diamonds.

At this point, her mind started searching for answers as she stared at the necklace quizzically. She began to search the jacket, Deeping her hand into every corner of it. She picked out a tiny paper from the inner pocket. She eagerly opened it and read it out, her eyes moving along to every word in shock. The paper read OCTOBER 13TH.

Her brain tried to come up with a reason for the date and at the same time an answer to who the necklace belonged to and most importantly why it was in his possession.

She pushed her memories back to the horrifying night and she began to replay the incident, the only difference is this time she played it in slow motion so her mind would be alert to everything.