Cuts

Bucky cried so much that night it made him puke. Once he'd run out of tears he just laid on his bed, curled up in a ball, still a sniffling, whimpering mess. He couldn't remember falling asleep but it must have happened because he woke up Saturday morning.

He checked his phone. A few messages, from Steve.

'Did you already leave?' - Steve

'I thought we were going to talk more' - Steve

'Did something happen?' - Steve

'You can talk to me if something did' - Steve

'You're probably asleep right now text me when you're up' - Steve

It was nearly ten in the morning. Steve was almost definitely awake, but Bucky didn't want to bother him. Steve soon texted him again.

'Hey Buck I don't know if you're up but I just wanted to see if you were alright' - Steve

'Don't bother him. You'll just be a burden. He probably doesn't care anyway.' Bucky told himself.

Steve got worried when Bucky wouldn't reply to his texts or return his calls. He wasn't being overly persistent, at least he didn't think so. By seven that night he'd called twice and texted Bucky three times. He decided it'd be best to let him be for a while, if something was wrong they could talk on Monday.

Steve waited until Monday. But he never really got a chance to talk to him until after school. Bucky looked exhausted, he was pale and slightly shaky.

"Bucky are you alright?" Steve asked.

"Fine." Bucky replied quickly then walking away.

"Wait up." Steve called after him, "Why'd you leave early from the dance I thought we were going to hang out more."

"I just didn't feel good." Bucky mumbled.

"Oh, well I'm sorry." Steve replied.

"I don't need you to pity me."

"I'm not pitying you I just think it must have sucked to be sick." Steve explained.

"Just go Steve." Bucky replied.

"Bucky what's wrong, did I do something?" Steve was concerned he'd screwed something up, maybe he'd crossed some boundary or something.

"No you didn't do anything." Bucky mumbled.

"Well then why were you ignoring me all day and why were you in such a rush to get away from me?!"

"Leave me alone Steve!" Bucky replied as he turned to walk away.

"Bucky!" Steve grabbed his right wrist and Bucky winced. Steve knew he didn't grab Bucky that hard, "What happened to your arm?" Bucky didn't reply, "Bucky what happened!?"

"Nothing!" Bucky replied.

Steve knew he was lying, he pulled Bucky back and rolled up his sleeve. Thin cuts all up his wrist and forearm, some scabbed over, some poorly patched and still bleeding, most were defined white scars. Bucky had a look of terror and pulled away from Steve quickly pulling down his hoodie sleeve.

"Bucky why would you do this? You know you could have come to me if something was wrong."

"Stop pitying me!" Bucky yelled "Sharon told me about how you only hang out with me because you feel bad for me. I don't need your fucking pity, I'm fine!"

"No, you're not fine!" Steve yelled back, "Look at your arm, this is not fine!"

"Just leave me alone! Quit acting like you care!"