4

The morning was bright and pale with springtime freshness, and Erin was glad to breathe its crisp air. The Gaol was situated in the City's central district and was one of the oldest buildings still in existence. Erin rarely entered the central district, the Watchmen had too heavy a presence here and her tattered appearance made her stand out among the fine clothes of the district's inhabitants. It was too risky for her to work in such an environment. In recent months, this risk had ben magnified by the many patrols of Sentinels that had taken to sweeping the central district around the palace. The Sentinels were the elite guard of the Royal family and had been more active than ever since a plot to overthrow the Palace had been discovered among the rich families of the central and northern districts. The existence of the coup had been officially denied by the Palace, but anyone with a brain could tell differently, or so Arlo had told Erin on many occasions. Those implicated in the plot had since quietly disappeared and the patrols of Sentinels were apparently a show of force from the Palace to discourage any similar conspiracies. Erin looked up to the peaks of the palace towers that soared skywards in the near distance and she wondered what it would be like to have been born a queen. Isaiah interrupted her daydreaming.

"Come, Erin. We shall walk to the House, it'll give us time to talk."

They set off south, in the direction of the river Serpent and the Rathouse.

"Where is the House? Can't say I've seen it before," Erin asked.

"It's in the south-east district. Not quite as far south as the river docks, but it's close. It isn't too far from your Rathouse actually."

"No it en't," Erin scoffed. "I know the south City better than anyone. If it was there, I'd have seen it by now. I'd have probably tried to rob it too," she grinned.

"I wouldn't be so sure, my dear. The House has many- don't even THINK about it."

Erin looked up at him in shock. His expression was severe.

"You were about to snatch that poor woman's purse from her coat. I know, I set you free, Erin, but that doesn't mean I will tolerate any further thievery. If you're going to become a member of the House, there are rules you must obey."

Erin's mouth hung open in surprise. He was right. They had been walking behind the same woman since they left the Gaol, getting gradually closer. Erin had spotted the corner of her purse poking out from inside her coat pocket and was considering taking it. It would have been an easy lift, but somehow Isaiah had known her intention.

Erin's eyes grew wide with awe, her guilt forgotten. "Is that what you do? Is that your magic, I mean? You can read minds! That is so cool you have to teach me."

"No, Erin, that is not a power I possess. Besides, it is unlikely I would be able to teach you it even if it was, Gifted individuals are usually only capable of one type of magical ability."

"Well that en't fair," Erin pouted. "So, if you can't read my mind, how did you know what I was gonna do?"

"I saw it," Isaiah said slyly.

"What do you mean you saw it. I hadn't even moved."

"No, but I saw what you would have done. I saw what you did before you did it."

Erin scowled. She didn't like it when people weren't straightforward.

"So you can, what, time travel? You're a time traveller. That'd be cool."

"Not quite. I have what magical scholars call the Gift of Sight. Ever heard of it?" he asked.

Erin shook her head.