21

"Erin!" a voice shouted.

Erin turned around and was wrapped in a crushing bear-hug.

"Toby you're suffocating me," Erin wheezed.

He released her and held her at arm's length, a concerned frown on his face.

"I heard what happened," he said. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Erin nodded, readjusting the knife at her belt. "Not a scratch on me."

"That's good to hear. Trust you to get in trouble first day on the job," he teased.

"I'd like to point out, young Toby," Isaiah said from over Erin's shoulder, "that we didn't get in trouble. Trouble came to us."

"Oh, hello Mr. James. Y-yes of course. It's a pleasure to meet you, sir it really is."

"The pleasure is mine, my boy. Erin speaks highly of you."

"Well thank you," Toby blushed. "You two going up to the Main Hall?"

"We are indeed," Isaiah nodded. "All fighters have been called up. The enemy is on the move. We have thirty minutes at best until they arrive."

"I'm on my way there too, just had to pick up some gear for Madam Kelly," Toby said, hefting a bag that hung over his shoulder.

"Then let's get moving. If I stand still any longer, I think I might explode with nerves," said Erin.

The trio made their way through the winding tunnels from the living quarters up towards the main hall. The closer they got, the busier the tunnels became as people ran the last few provisions up to the defences. When they finally came out into the Main Hall, its transformation took her by surprise.

"Wow," she said simply.

Although the far half of the hall had been left as an open space, the near half had been heavily fortified. Sandbag barricades had been lain out in defensive layers, each one bristling with wooden stakes that faced the hall's entrance. Behind every barricade were racks of muskets and swords, kegs of powder and buckets of lead shot. On the many walkways and bridges that criss-crossed the hall above them, nests of sandbags and wooden barriers has been constructed in which groups of snipers waited, ready to shoot and drop things onto any attackers. The members of Bellator House scurried about, kicking the last sandbags into place and giving their guns a last-minute oil.

"I'll see you later Erin," Toby said. "Got to get back to Madam Kelly." He shot her a wink then disappeared from sight.

"Come, Erin. Let's go see the Chief," Isaiah said.

He put a hand on her shoulder and steered her forward through maze of fortifications. As they made their way to the front of the defences, Erin was surprised to find the House members in good spirits. They laughed and joked, and confidence radiated from their determined faces. Erin was suddenly pleased she'd be fighting on this side of the hall.

"The House of Bellator is a House of warriors, Erin," Isaiah murmured to her, as if he could read her mind. "We've faced hardship before and we'll face it again. This is our home and we are more than happy to defend it."

They found the Chief at the forward-most barrier, barking last-minute orders to the troops around her. She looked fearsome in a grey combat uniform and breastplate with a large battle axe strapped over her shoulder.

"So here's the girl this is all for," she said. "Are you ready to fight for your life?"

"Yes maam," Erin replied, snapping to attention.