17

After a quick trip to Isak's armoury, they had left the House in a hurry, setting off through the labyrinth of alleys and backstreets on a course known only to Isiah. Erin danced along beside him, unable to contain her excitement. After a whole month of living underground she was finally back on the streets of the City, and she'd never felt more alive. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply, revelling in the harsh sounds and smells that she loved so much.

"I know you're excited, but we must hurry, my dear," Isaiah said. "Time is of the upmost importance."

Erin shook herself out of her daydream then jumped into step beside Isaiah.

"Why? Where are we going? Somewhere exciting?"

Isaiah smiled at her enthusiasm.

"Exciting? Maybe. Dangerous? Definitely. Time for a little background information: over the past few weeks, the Dominus man you stole from in the night market, Ansel Maddox, has visited the House of Vigilate eight times. Before that, he'd only ever been there once. He's using Vigilate for something and if our past experience of him is anything to go on, that something isn't going to be pleasant."

"So what're we going to do? Arrest him? Interrogate him? Please say we can interrogate him. I want to high-five him."

"You want to . . . high-five him?"

"Yeah, I want to high-five him. In the face. With my fist," Erin grinned.

"Of course you do," Isaiah sighed, rolling his eyes in exasperation, "but I'm afraid that might not be an option."

"Why not? It won't take up much time, I promise," Erin pouted.

"I don't doubt that, but I have strict orders from the Chief to avoid antagonising the House of Dominus any further. We are to remain totally civil unless provoked and it's for that reason that we won't be knocking any heads together. Today, Erin, we will be adopting a more subtle approach with some good, old-fashioned sneaking."

"Ooh I like sneaking too. The question is, where are we sneaking?"

"Earlier today, I received a tipoff from an informant of mine. He said that Maddox is due to visit the House of Vigilate again at noon. If we hurry, we might be able to follow him in and see what he's up to."

"Sounds like fun," Erin said, skipping lightly over an open drain.

They walked on at a brisk pace, both energized with the anticipation of what was to come.

"How are the clothes?" Isaiah asked.

"They're great, just like you said they would be," Erin replied.

On Isaiah's request, Isak had prepared some clothes for Erin for once she completed Initiation. Erin had smiled quietly to herself when she realised this prearrangement meant Isaiah must have known well in advance that he was going to claim her as an apprentice.

"Isak is the best," Isaiah nodded. "If there's anything you want changing then you only have to ask him."

"Oh no, everything's perfect, really."

She wasn't lying. Isak's work was without fault. The trousers, vest and jacket he had given her were all light, warm and comfortable, but it was her new boots that she loved the most. Although they looked identical to the cumbersome military boots she had worn during Initiation, these shoes were soft and weighed almost nothing. Erin could feel the surfaces she walked on through the boots' soles in a way that felt as if she were barefoot: just what she needed.

"With a Gift like yours, normal shoes just won't cut it," Isak had grumbled as he had pushed the boots into Erin's arms. "These should be more up to the task. They're responsive, light and they'll never wear out. They'll serve you well."