23

"You know why I'm here, maam," Valarie said. "I want to go after him."

The Chief sighed and closed the file she had been reading.

"It's been six weeks, Valarie. You need more time to rest. Most people take months to recover from the injuries you sustained."

"Respectfully maam, I'm not most people. Besides, Isaiah needs me. He shouldn't be alone with only his thoughts for company, not at a time like this."

"Do you even know where he's gone?" the Chief said, rubbing her eyes.

"There's evidence of him buying a place on a boat travelling to the Western Kingdoms. I'll start there."

"Is that it? The Western Kingdoms is a large place to go looking for someone."

"It is maam, but I know Isaiah well. If he's left alone, he'll destroy himself and I can't let that happen."

"Have you considered that he might want it that way, Valarie? The girl's death changed him. I don't know if the old Isaiah even exists anymore."

"Neither do I maam, but I have to try and save him, I owe him that much. As do you, maam."

The Chief was silent for a long time before she spoke. "When I killed that devil Salazar, I thought our troubles would come to an end. We routed their army and killed their general, but the financers of this scheme are still at large, and the City isn't safe until they've all been locked up or killed. It'll be no easy task Valarie, and honestly, I don't know if it's possible. So go and find Isaiah. Find him and bring him back to me, because God knows I need him now more than ever."