13

"She can't stay, Isaiah. Not after what she's done," the Chief said.

Isaiah and Kazi had been summoned to the Chief's office. She was in a thunderous mood and both men squirmed under her scrutiny. She was an imposing woman who commanded ruthless authority over the House. She was not a woman to be disappointed.

"She was just defending herself, maam" Isaiah protested. "That boy was going to kill her, all the other recruits saw it."

"If I may, maam, what she did to that boy was more than self-defence," said Kazi. "It may have started out as that, but I saw the body. She kept hitting him long after he went down."

"You said the boy was one of your best, Kazi. How was he overpowered by a girl half his weight?" the Chief asked.

"With magic, maam," Isaiah interjected. "For someone with so little magical experience, she channelled a huge amount of energy. The other recruits said she was nearly dead when her magic took control and brought her back from the brink. After that, the boy was no match."

The Chief looked to Kazi for confirmation and the drillmaster nodded his head in agreement.

"And how does her magic manifest itself?" said the Chief.

"It's a physical enhancement. It makes her move with incredible speed. The recruits said her arms were moving so fast that they could barely see them."

The Chief nodded thoughtfully. "Physical enhancements are rare. She would make a fine addition the House's ranks, but she can't stay after what she's done. It's clear that she let her emotions rule her, which is exactly what I was afraid of in the first place. She's too old to be trained."

"She has the temperament to make a great Inquisitor Isaiah, but I'm afraid I agree with the Chief," said Kazi. "She's too old to start now. She has no control over her magic. In my mind, the risks outweigh the reward."

"So we're just going to turn her out onto the street?" Isaiah said. "Ansel Maddox and his henchmen are still after her, make no mistake. How long do you think she'd last before they kill her? We'd be condemning her to death. Is that what we stand for now? Do we execute girls for defending themselves against bullies?"

"Of course not, Isaiah," the Chief sighed. "But we can't allow something like this to happen again."

"It won't," Isaiah said firmly. "Kazi, you've met her. Does she strike you as cruel or vicious?"

"No," the drillmaster admitted. "She has fire in her and dislikes authority, but she seems to be a good person."

"So this type of thing is very unlikely to happen again. It happened because she was put under extreme stress and because the alternative was to let herself die. I know which option I would've made in her position."

There was a long pause.

"How do the other recruits feel towards her?" the Chief asked.

"She's made one friend, a boy called Toby," Kazi said. "The others fear her. They saw her power. But they also seem to respect her. I rallied them against her to see if she had what it takes to be one of us, but her actions seemed to have won them over, as savage as those actions were."

"She needs to be here, maam," Isaiah begged. "I still believe she is the key to whatever is coming. I convened with our other Seers earlier this morning and we agreed that someone of great importance had entered the House. This isn't a coincidence, maam. Erin is the key. We have to keep her here."

"I've received word from the other Seers saying the same thing," the Chief admitted.

She drummed her fingers against her desk for a moment.

"Would you be willing to take her back, Kazi?" she asked.

"I still think it's the wrong decision, but if you wished it then of course I would take her back."

"Okay, she can stay," the Chief sighed.

"Thank you, maam," Isaiah said.

"But I don't want to hear another peep out of her until she's passed Initiation. One more mishap, not matter how tiny, and she's out. Clear?"

"Yes, maam, of course."

"I want you to go and talk to her as soon as possible. She should know what's going on. Is she awake yet, Kazi?"

"Not yet, maam. The Infirmary said they would send word the moment she is."

"Good. And Isaiah, don't tell her that the boy is dead. Nothing good can come of her knowing that she's murdered someone." The Chief said brusquely.

"I agree, maam. She is too young for that burden."

"Right, well that's settled then. You're both dismissed. Thank you for your counsel, gentlemen."

The two men bowed their heads and left.