arguing

I had just gotten home from a long, aching, day at work. Timothée always arrives just before me. A sigh escaped my lips as I opened the door.
"I'm home." I shout, but no reply comes back. He's usually always home, so I got concerned, wondering why he didn't at least call. I patted my pants pockets and searched for my phone, then called him.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

"Hey this is Timothée, leave a message and I'll call you back... maybe." I rolled my eyes and set my phone down, deciding that he was probably working late.

Two hours had passed as I sat comfortably on the couch, flipping through channels. F.r.i.e.n.d.s was playing and I started to watch, when suddenly I heard the front door handle rattle. My head shot up, realizing that it was Timothée. I quickly unlocked the door and he stood there, smiling.
"Forgot my key." he assured as he gave me a kiss on my forehead and walked past.

"Where were you?"

"I was out."

I squinted my eyes at his pathetic comment. What kind of boyfriend doesn't say where he's been?

"Um, out where?" At this point it felt like I was nagging on, but I was genuinely curious and had a bad gut
feeling that he was with someone else. He grabbed an apple from the fresh fruit basket laying neatly on the kitchen counter, and bit into it casually.
"Do I have to tell you where I am every second of the day? Or can I take a breather every once in a while?"
My fist clenched, and my blood began to boil. I genuinely couldn't believe what I had just heard, was he implying that i'm clingy?

"Breather?" I did air quotes, "What do you mean?"

"You're always up my ass!" He snarls, and I start walking up to him.

"Are you kidding? You wouldn't be worried about me if I came home later than usual? You're making me think you were with some girl!"

It was silent. At this moment, I wasn't sure if he didn't speak because it was true, or the fact that it wasn't. All he did was shake his head.
"Really? Y/N, you seriously think that of me?" His voice was low, and serious. It sort of made me regret saying that out loud. The truth was, I didn't believe that of him.
"Well, no..." I trailed off, feeling guilty.
He was still standing at the kitchen counter, as I was across from him. He scoffed and looked down at his reflection on the cold, marbled counter. The silence changed my mind about wanting to know where he was. I twiddled my thumbs, afraid to even swallow because it would make noise.

Suddenly, a chuckle arose from him, I stared as he broke into laughter. At first I was confused, but he kept laughing, and I couldn't help but smile and join him. We were just standing there giggling uncontrollably, I wasn't even sure why.

The laughter began to die down, and he made his way over to me slowly.
"That was the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard," he scoffed and shot me an 'are-you-crazy' look. "Cheating?" He smiled again and put a soft hand up to my cheek. He then leaned in, kissing me very gently.
"I visited my mom. She wanted to see me."
The hand that was once on my cheek trailed down to my waist, as he drew me toward him. I felt bad about yelling at him for seeing his mom, and mentally face palmed myself. We were arguing about something so stupid. He held me close to him, and planted a kiss once again on my forehead.