punk; part 1

It was a breezy summer night, the moon was full and illuminated on every surface I set my gaze upon. The perfect kind of night for drinks with friends at your local bar. We walk in and immediately, the smell of alcohol brushes my face. The sound of a live band plays in the background. They always feature small artists and bands looking to share their music and expand their audience. Every time I experience this familiar sensation, my whole body fills with adrenaline. I suppose it's the realization that the night is only beginning. This specific bar holds a lot of good memories. It was the place I had my first (legal) drink. The first place I felt truly liberated. It was the place I met my first love.

My eyes skimmed the crowd, wondering which band was playing tonight. Immediately, the best friends I arrived with gravitate toward the alcohol. Of course, I couldn't blame them- this is what we came for.
"Wow the guys playing tonight aren't bad," Eva yells over the music, gesturing toward the sound. They resembled an indie alternative band, hair carelessly tousled, tired eyes, edgy clothes. Among them, one guy in particular stood out to me.

 Among them, one guy in particular stood out to me

I unknowingly explored his features. He would sing a little vocal every once in a while, and then look down to play his guitar. I noticed the way his solemn eyes drifted from one place to another. His shoes were scuffed, jeans distressed, shirt loose. It was like he simply didn't care about how he dressed. I decided I liked it.
He was too consumed in the song to notice me. Perhaps I secretly wished that this would be one of those movies where we make eye contact and magically fall in love.
"You think there's a way we can talk to them?" Katie looked around, probably for some kind of 'V.I.P room'.
"Honestly they're just regular people. Once they're done performing, they're up for grabs." Eva laughs in amusement and downs a shot of tequila.

...

About half an hour goes by, when the lead singer speaks into the microphone.
"Thank you guys, that was our last song of the night. We'll be back... uh, maybe."
And with that, he takes the guitar off from around his body, and they start gathering their things. The crowd cheers and whoops for them, which is nice. At least the audience enjoyed them as much as I did.
I sipped a little bit of my beverage, and figured I needed to freshen up.
"Guys, come to the bathroom with me." My hand reaches out to get their attention.

My nose is stung with the smell of sweat, perfume, and alcohol as we start weaving our way through groups of drunk people. It's definitely harder to walk through a moving crowd while you're a little intoxicated. Just within a few seconds, i've seen Katie trip about three times. I giggled each time.
"Help!" Katie says as she gets tossed around like a ping pong ball.
Eventually my giggling shifted into full-on belly laughter.
"The bathroom!" I shout, pointing as if I'd just discovered a treasure.

As we're walking toward the women's bathroom, I watched as the curly haired band boy from earlier exits the men's room. He briefly met my eyes, and looked back down again, just like I wasn't there, like he wouldn't have given me a second-thought.
After I reapplied my cherry gloss that practically lived in my purse, I waited for Eva and Katie, both of them talking loudly amongst one another between the stalls. Yes, they were those drunk girls.
"We need to hurry before the cute guys leave!" Katie exclaims, I hear a flush and she immediately bursts out of the stall.

...

I'm not sure how much time went by, all I could feel was the music. To be honest, i'd completely forgotten where my friends have gone. The colorful lights flicker around the dark room as I skim the crowd. I spotted Eva's curly hair, and proceeded to squint to see who she was talking to. A gasp escaped my mouth. She had finally managed to get to one of the band members.
They were at the bar, and when I finally caught up, Eva introduced me.
"This is Matt, he's the lead singer."
"Nice to meet you," he holds out his hand to shake mine.
As I give into the gesture, Eva's face reveals her attraction toward him.
"You guys did amazing up there." I complimented their performance.
"Thanks, we appreciate it,"
In the corner of my eye, a figure is walking up to our group. A gut feeling told me it was the careless cute guy I've been eyeing all night. Suddenly, I felt like I wasn't ready to meet him yet. It felt too quick, there wasn't even any time to practice what i'd say to him, or how i'd act.
"Well, some of us do..." Matt trails off watching his fellow band member finally reach us.
"Hey Tim, finally you come and socialize."
The guy, who I now know is named Tim, rolls his eyes.

"I told you not to call me that."

"Sorry, Tim, Timothee. Tomato Tomatoe." Matt teases, but obviously an annoyed expression washes over Timothee's face.
This sort of attitude from him wasn't something I was prepared for. Sure, he appeared tired and grumpy but I wasn't expecting him to play the part too.
His eyes dart at me, then at Eva. He gives off an energy that makes me feel awkward, as if i'm not welcomed there. He shifts in his seat, and stays silent.
Matt clears his throat,
"This is Eva, and her friend."
"Y/n." I do a small wave at him, trying to seem friendly.
"Uh huh," He mumbles, very disinterested.
A bit of frustration flamed within me. I unconsciously squeezed my hand into a fist. Why was he being such an asshole?
Suddenly, the start of a popular song blasts throughout the bar.
"Wait- this is my song!" Eva shrieks in enthusiasm as she starts moving toward the dance floor. Matt shrugs and follows after her, downing the rest of his drink.
Even though music blasts throughout the place, his silence makes everything quiet.
After a few seconds, he decides to speak.

"Oh great, i'm left with you." Timothee says, smiling sarcastically.

"What the hell? What did I do?" I snap at him.

"Ooh, someone's feistier than she looks." He slyly takes a swig of his drink. The more he spoke the more infuriating the conversation was. His arrogance both repelled yet attracted me, like a confused magnet.
"There's no reason to get so upset," He continued with his taunting commentary. For a moment, all I focused on was his expression. The carelessly nonchalant face that made my cheeks flush.
"Well, i'm not exactly going to be ecstatic about a half-assed greeting, am I?"
"I'm sorry, princess. Do you prefer to be greeted with a kiss on the hand?" At first instinct, I thought about how nice it would actually be to receive a gentle peck on the hand, it would be better than a meaningless 'uh-huh'. Then, I shook my head, falling from my short-lived daydream.
"You know what, i'm not wasting my time on this conversation."
I turn to see Katie has finally caught up to Eva on the dance floor, it also appears that Matt is there, with the 3rd and last band member. We somehow managed to get all three of them to hang out with us in a short period of time. Luckily, my friends are more determined and socially advanced than I am.
I stand up abruptly, and start to walk about when I feel a hand lightly grab my arm.

• • •
(PART 2 COMING SOON)