✒ Prologue

-

-

Sirens. Yells. Curses.

They were heard all at once.

A little girl, covered in a blanket, sat at a distance. Her dark brown eyes stared blankly as her parents were screeching and cursing venomously, both of their hands were cuffed from behind, they were restrained by two police officers who escorted the two out of the house. No, they weren't her actual parents, and it wasn't primarily her fault this had happened. To make things short, they were only a sad couple who refused to believe that their real daughter had already died years ago, who had kidnapped someone else's little kid and was sick enough to believe that it was theirs. Desperate and mental enough to morph her into an illusion they wanted.

But Y/n was dead. And whatever you try to do, she'll never come back.

The girl who was kidnapped was ten years of age, she was taken from her family back when she was an infant. Because of the fact that she had lived with her own kidnappers her entire life, the adults have assumed that she had no idea nor even understood what was going on. But they were wrong. She knew what was going on, she knew they weren't her real parents, that the room she used to sleep in wasn't hers, or that the life she was living wasn't hers.

It was that tiny little detail that the police simply missed or perhaps brushed off, but the little girl had shown no intention to protect and defend her so-called parents. She made no move and simply followed whatever they were telling her, which was to stay put.

How could this be? She was only ten years old, she was homeschooled yet was barely taught anything. Maybe, just maybe, someone else knew and had told her.

Who and how?

W̶e̶l̶l̶ t̶h̶a̶t̶'̶s̶ a̶ s̶e̶c̶r̶e̶t̶.

In her arms was a worn-out teddy bear, in all of its glory; black buttoned eyes and brown fur. It wasn't hers, it belonged to Y/n, but she still held unto it like a form of comfort. The girl made sure that the stuffed toy got a proper view of the scene, one of the couple, Mrs. L/n, refused to be taken inside the police car and glared spitefully at her. The child did not feel remorse by it, instead only smiled benevolently— a silent thank you for taking care of her all of these years despite seeing her like a mirage of their dead daughter, and it took the woman in complete surprise.

After all, Y/n would have lived a good life if she was still alive.

She was now bored, the police sirens that loudly played the same tune over and over again were slowly starting to make her ears bleed. Other than the sound of hostility, the cold wind almost swept the little girl off her seat, it made her shiver despite the warm material that covered her.

Someone then rested their soft yet crinkled hand on top of her shoulder, the sudden touch did not startle her, and it had only made her peer up to see a face that could have almost resembled her own if it weren't for the wrinkles on the older woman's face. This was her mother, the real one. And she was smiling gently at the little one with a sense of relief that dawned over her features.

"Let's take you home now," the woman said, her voice almost cracking, minding the fact that she could finally say those words.

The little girl nodded softly, carefully getting off the bench she was sitting on seeing that her small legs couldn't immediately reach the ground. The blanket on her naturally fell off from her small figure, but she couldn't care less about it since she was holding her teddy bear. With one hand gripping tightly on her stuffed toy, the other took her mother's hand.

And her name isn't Y/n L/n.

It's Kim Eun Jin.

-

Hello there! Yeah if you didn't see my new Author's note in the introduction, then let me remind yall again.

I'm rewriting my books. Especially this one.

So I might be adding more chapters or changing the chapter names. And I'll make sure to still make it a lowkey crackfic for yall

[edited]

-