Chapter 39

Alchemy: Tiny Steps

-.-

D/C: I own nothing.

-.-

"English and Edward's accented voice."

"Amestrian, Xingese, foreign languages, or to add emphasize."

Written notes or to add extra emphasize

'Thoughts.'

-.-

Edward made the last headcount, making sure everyone that was supposed to be there is there for their departure to Xing through the Old Man's fireplace. So far, there has been a couple of hiccups. Rolonda had told him that she will only take them to Xerxes and come back to Hogwarts due to family emergencies. So that left him scrambling to look for someone to take on her place to help him with taking care of the brats on top of the other few he needed chu-volunteers to help him take care of the students that were going.

Luckily for him, Charity Burbage quickly volunteered.

Along with Madam Bones and Kavex volunteering Kingsley Shacklebolt and William Weasley respectively. Kingsley for the sake of the people and William...? Goblin related stuff? Either way, the guy is human and is related to Fred and George, who are getting a kick out of it.

A decent number of adults... Those poor chumps.

"Everyone have their suitcases packed? Once we leave here, there is no turning back." Edward announced to his students before their departure. It was the night before Christmas and instead of eating dinner, everyone is scrambling to their destination. As for the adults, instead of spending holidays with their family, they have to travel due to work. As for Edward himself, he's going home. Even if it is for a short time.

"Go to Winry, she'll be waiting for you." Edward ordered Xerxes, the owl hooted and bit his fingers before she flew through an open window. Watching her fly away, Edward put on his traveling coat and took hold of his suitcase. "Final call..."

-.-

Ling lounged on top of a giant colorful pillow, waiting for his guest. He stared intently at the fireplace for his guest to arrive. All joy and playfulness that typically adorned his face are nowhere to see and it is heavily noted by everyone in the entire palace. Sure, the Emperor would have his hyperactive moments but now like how it was before. Ever since his shadow had stopped following due to the actions of others, and he was making a point he was not happy about it.

Still, for Eddy-Boy student's Ling will smile and joke around to ensure their first impression of him isn't anything but the idiotic prince. With that said, Ling smiled widely when he saw the fireplace grow and the guest started to arrive in pairs.

-.-

Edward watched as everyone used the fireplace to flue over to Xing. He made sure everyone had left before he quickly followed them. The sight he saw after he walked out of Xing's fireplace, he immediately knew something was wrong with Ling.

The Alchemy Teacher raised an eyebrow towards Xing's Emperor, he then looked around the room and saw that Lan Fan was nowhere in sight. That would explain a lot of things. Rolling his shoulders to relieve some tension, Edward went over towards Ling. "For all the years I've known you, you suck at hiding things when it comes to Lan Fan."

Ling smile only seemed to grow. "There has been an increase of hits towards her life since the announcement of our marriage. The latest currently has her resting in our room with guards placed in every corner... I am not exactly in the greatest moods right now."

Edward snorted. "Overprotective much? She'll get stir crazy and have Mei go after you. Speaking of the tiny princess, she's still at Amestris?"

"Yes, should be at Resembool by the time you get there." Ling responded thoughtfully, remembering the latest letter he received from his half-sister.

"Guess what?"

"Hm?"

"I brought you a curse-breaker."

-.-

William 'Bill' Weasley wondered what he got himself into when he was thrown into being a chaperone for the Alchemy Class trip to Amestris. His superiors had told him that he needed to head out to Xing and then Amestris to get in contact with their respective governments and economic system. Since he is a human and has two younger brothers in said class, that made Bill the most suitable candidate.

'Suitable candidate my arse...' Bill thought with a snort, he kept an eye on the students. He has no clue who he needed to talk to an- The Weasley turned his attention towards Mr. Elric and some unknown man conversing in a forging language. He raised his arm towards his chest where a pendant he was given to help him communicate with everyone around him that spoke a different language than him.

"-the guy is our age, Kavex says he's still a noob but the close to being human than the rest of their workers and shows great promise in this profession."

"We'll have him deal with the smaller things first then and go from there. Does he come with a contract? In case if he gets killed on the job, we won't be responsible for it?"

"He should."

Bill suddenly felt he should have taken up a different profession.

-.-

Mustang rubbed the back of his neck as he watched Armstrong ordered his soldiers around to decorate the Armstrong Mansion for Christmas. He does not understand the holiday, and never give it much thought. Since Amestris does not have any official religions for its militaristic views, and religion that was practiced was mainly scammed due to Father's attempt to have the people go along with his plans... Or just idiots wanting to act all high and mighty, which made their fall all the more hilarious. The only religion that is becoming accepted is Ishvalan. Since the Promise Day, helping the Ishvalan's became his number one priority and that included their rights to practice their religion safely. From what he learned, it did not include a fat man in a red suit trespassing into people's homes.

"Mustang! How does it look!"

Mustang took in a deep breath before he turned his attention towards Armstrong's direction and deeply regretted it. There was the muscled man dressed like that supposed jolly man minus the coat and shirt. The Strongarm Alchemist even put on a fake beard to add on with his costume. "You are going to scar them for life, Armstrong."

"Of course not! This is simply allowing them to fully enjoy the holiday!"

"They don't even see the man, he was not meant to be seen."

Sniffle, sniffle.

"...Just put on a shirt and fill the bag with presents."

To Be Continued...