Chapter 5

"Okay. Just a little bit further..... Furtherrrr. Come on...." Lucas said, coaxing me to take a step forward. 

The world around me was dark, seperated from my eyes by a blue blindfold that he's placed over them about ten minutes ago claiming that we were going to a 'secret destination'. I'll admit, I wasn't too thrilled about the idea of getting into a car, blindfolded with a guy I hadn't gotten off on the best foot with at first, but eventually he'd broken me down and gotten me to relent.

"Lucas Jacob Wessington," I said, using the name that I now knew from our talk over lunch in a tryign to be stern voice, "if you let me trip and I fall on my face, I am sending YOU my hospital bills! This pretty face can't be broken!" I waved my hand around in a circle in front of my face and heard him laugh.

"Well it really isn't much further, but just in case...." His voice held a hint of happiness as he wrapped his hand around my elbow and steadied me. At the same time, I felt my stomach flip. I shouldn't feel this way. He has a girlfriend. I can't like him. He doesn't like me... but then again, today had been so great. In one day, I was already developing feelings for him. This could not possibly end well for me.

After we'd left the room that morning, my post-bacon bliss (don't judge me. I love the stuff!) in place, he'd led us to a little coffee shop around the corner, where he paid for both of our drinks. "His treat", he'd insisted. My hot chocolate to his coffee. We were quite a pair. From there we walked around the town for a while. Lots of beautiful buildings and bright colors (probably to attract tourists)... After a while, we'd gotten hungry and he led us to a great cafe where we had sandwhiches, fries, and lemonade for lunch. We must have spent an hour there. We talked about everything. School, family, hobbies... in fact, with all the time we spent talking, I don't think we even really skimmed the surface of how much there is for us to know about one another. His full name was Lucas Jacob Wessington (I teased him about how formal that sounded and he threw a fry at me... what a dork!), he loved to kiteboard and surf, he enjoyed reading and was an A/B student, and he lived about a half hour from where I was from! Talk about small world. Our high school football team even played his during the varsity fall season! 

Afterwards, we'd left the cafe and continued walking around. Normally, all the walking would have bothered me and I knew that soon it would, because I'd worn flip flops today and my heels were going to get sore, but for some reason, I found myself not caring ho where we went or what we did. I was just enjoying myself. I couldn't remember the last time things had been like this with a guy. Things had been so bad..... and then my mind was somewhere else entirely.

"Babe, hurry up. We're going to be late!"

I grumbled under my breath about rushing me and trying to look nice for our date, but  then put a smile on my face because I didn't want him to know he was being kind fof a jerk and ruin the evening. It had been a month since we'd done anything together because of all our busy activities and I'd really missed him, so I was excited for our night out.

"I'm coming! Just grabbing my bag!"

I ran down the stairs and kissed my mom on the cheek as Josh walked out the door. Literally. Just walked out. Umm... ok? I hustled out the door and caught up with him at the car. Instead of opening my door for me like usual, he'd simply gone around to his side and unlocked it for me. Something was definitely up.

"Josh. What's wrong?"

He looked at me and grimaced. Something else? Was it my outfit? My hair? Suddenly everything about myself was insecure as I waited for him to answer. It had been almost 2 years... we could be honest right?

"Josh?" He shook his head and started driving. "Is it something I did? Is it my outfit? What? I KNOW something is up! Seriously. It's been a month since we saw eachother. Just tell me now so that we can get past it and have a good night." He sighed heavily.