Chapter 4

Shan absently scrubbed her finished pink dress. It had blue lace and a perfectly fluffed skirt. The dot of blood was tucked under the sleeve. It hadn't come out, and Miss Vespa had scolded her heavily.

It had been almost 2 weeks since Nocha had pestered her about the Snuffer. Shan had seen her sulking in a treehouse in a center square tree.

Shan hoped that she had been lying.

After all, Frederik had said-well, he hadn't really said clearly, she supposed-that the Snuffer was just a myth. A tall tale. So she hoped.

Not much interesting had happened since, and Shan partially hoped it never would. In that aspect, at least. She supposed that her life wasn't all that interesting normally, because life wasn't, of course, a story.

The bell rang, long and slow. Happily, she jumped up and carefully set down her dress.

Forlornly, she accepted her 5 Wooden, grabbed her rice and buns, and stumbled off home.

Shan hadn't slept very well.

Busy scrubbing her eyes, she didn't notice, at first, the figure. The man stood on the roof of the tallest treehouse. Shan couldn't imagine how he had gotten up there with his pale cloak. It wasn't quite white, and it certainly wasn't black, so at first, she thought nothing of it. But then she noticed his tall, navy blue boots. They had dozens of rosegold, sharp-tipped buckles. And, despite his drifty hood and the bright sunlight, she couldn't place his facial features. He looked off towards the clothes shop and the poorer districts.

Shan had the sharpest desire to hide. There was something quite wrong with him.

Turning her back, she hurried away towards home.

Slowly, but then all at once, her breathing became more labored, until Shan couldn't breath at all. Coughing and spitting, she fell to her knees, clutching her chest. The world blurred, and black spots pranced across her vision.

Was this-this awful, empty pit in her chest-how everyone felt? What was she missing without a heartbeat?

Tears springing up, she instinctively moved her head towards the main tree. Standing there, pulling an invisible rope, was the man with the buckled boots.

Shan's fluttering eyes travelled up his darkened face. The shadows fled, and she could make out dark hair, glowing blue eyes, and a smirk. He shook a light purple pinchsack; and she swore she could hear Diamonds clinking before the world collapsed inward.

Where is Shan?

Frederik glanced at his battered watch. Through the cracked face, he could see the time.

It was late-too late. He bit his lip.

Where is she?

He looked over at his slumbering family, gauging what he should do.

Reaching a decision, he pulled on his jacket and opened the door into the cooling evening.

Frederik walked their normal route toward town, calling his sister's name. He was greeted with only a few annoyed neighbors and some startled birds.

As the sun sank lower, he began to panic, walking faster.

The evening bell rang, and Frederik broke into a run, his imagination running wild. Shan-she was the only one he could talk to, the only one who he identified with, it was his duty to protect her!

What if she got held back?

What if she tripped?

What if she passed out?

What if she was trampled?

What if she was stabbed?!

What if she was bleeding out?!

WHAT IF SHE WAS DYING?!

WHAT IF SHE WAS DEAD?!?!?

He entered the center square. It was deserted, and he collapsed to his knees. The prospect of losing his sister-who was never late, and always did her best not to worry him in the slightest-was too much to bare.

The rational part of his mind forced him to stand up. He would go to Shan's shop and ask Miss Vespa if she had seen Shan. Politely.

If she said no, he would stay out all night looking for her-

Frederik didn't get very far. His eyes caught on a ragged lump thrown on the stones. It seemed to be a large, old, stained bag. It had several holes in the fabric, and he spotted skin flashing in the early light of the stars.

It was a homeless person, passed out and probably drunk.

Slowly, he walked over, planning to wake him, and help him a center treehouse.

The hair was fox-colored; red, and brown, and blon....

Something clicked, and he sprinted over, falling in a heap around the lump that was his sister.

Her arm was twisted oddly, but other than that, she didn't seem hurt. There were no visible marks or blemishes to show why she had passed out.

Frederik softly put a hand on her thin arm, and immediately recoiled. It was cold-much too cold. Cold as dirt. Cold as death.

With a sharp cry, he stumbled backward. He clutched a hand over his mouth so not to vomit. His sister- Shan-Shan-Shan.....

Feeling faint, he desperately grabbed her shoulder and turned her over. Her face was pinched, as if terrified even in...

She's a Lifeliner, feel for her breath.

He felt nothing. Nothing at all.

Then...

Then something faint.

Almost nonexistent.

But Shannon-Alice was breathing.

Tears streamed down his cheeks. He shook her very slightly, and Frederik had never been happier to see her eyes open.

He grabbed her and hugged her tight.

Shan squeaked, "Too..Tight!"

He let her go, frowning.

"Shan...It's so late..How long have you been passed out?"

She seemed to realize, only then, that it was pitch-dark, and she was laying on the ground in the square.

Her face paled blotchily, and she bit her lip. Her eyes glazed over as she thought. Then she turned to Frederik, tears filling her eyes.

"She wasn't kidding."

Frederik visibly drooped, and he closed his eyes.

"I know what we have to do."