Chapter 11

The world was tinted blue. A middle aged man, a young boy, around 4, and a little girl stood in a small clearing. The trees around them must have stood a hundred feet tall. A bit behind them started a pathway. It wound for a few hundred yards before reaching a worn entrance to a small cluster of buildings. The sign over the path said, Tress. Underneath, in old Meikk, was The Sun that Shapes the Sizers.

The father looked nothing like either of his children. One of which had short, white hair, almost as if he'd bleached it. His eyes were emerald green, with little specks of yellow. His pupils were a little pointed on the top and bottom. The girl's soft russet hair spiked slightly upward, her prussian blue eyes were squinted concernedly.

The father's dark skin and hard brown eyes strongly contrasted both.

The old man stared down at his son disappointedly. His mother had raised to boy all wrong! He was much too soft.

"Say goodbye, child. You have an important job to do."

The curly haired boy burst into tears. His bewildered little sister was standing there, not hugging him back. At a little over a year old, she didn't understand. The man wasn't sure the boy did completely either. If he did, there would be no way he'd be bawling. This was a job most would jump for!

He scowled, and harshly pushed the two apart. The little girl didn't protest, blinking. The boy, on the other hand, screamed, his face full of hurt and pain. He reached for his sister blindly.

"Maybe I should get Chamois or Hawk."

Sniffling, he nodded. His father hit him across the face, and he stumbled back, clutching his stinging cheek. Not a drop of remorse crossed his features as he turned sharply back to the girl.

"Gazille. You know you aren't supposed to be out here. Go back to town. Tell your mother that Leo will not be accompanying us back. "

Tears filling her little eyes, she stumbled back as fast as she could on her pudgy toddler legs before he even finished the sentence.

Sneering, he went to finish his business with the little boy.

But he was gone.