Chapter 5

Shan rooted under Muma's cot. She pulled out a bottle cap, some dust bunnies, and a handful of rat poop.

"Euch!" She wiped her hand on her shirt and sighed. A splinter stuck out of her pointer finger. A bit of dust flew up her nose, and she coughed wheezily. It hurt. Ever since the man took her breath. Obviously, she could still breath fine, and was still alive. Though, quite honestly, she didn't know how long it would take to perish even if he had taken it completely.

Frederik glanced over from his spot on the couch. He hadn't had much better luck. Both of them knew they had no extra Wooden, much less Stone. Why even try?

But with Frederik's idea, they would need as much money as they could get.

Shan shivered. That was another side effect, it seemed. Her skin-or body in general, really-was much colder than usual.

They had to work fast-time was running out.

She rolled back on her heels, nursing another splinter.

"How many coins do we need?"

He shrugged. Leo fell down onto his nose like a lock of hair, and he pushed him back up.

Shan stood up, huffing.

"Well, we both know that we don't have any extra money. So can we just try with the money we have?"

Frederik nodded. He, too, was getting rather tired of searching for money that wasn't there. He just hoped that she would help them anyway.

Leo seemed to read his mind, and he nodded slightly. Then he shivered.

Frederik half-smiled and brought him down on his hand. Leo smiled, almost laughing.

Leo wasn't like other Leopard geckos. He was white, peach, and brown, sure. That was a little odd. But more so his odd, human-like quirks. He was quite clingy, and always nudged Frederik away from weird, dark places. Many people seemed to like him, and Leo always tried to impress them.

Shan saw him and smiled. Leo always cheered her up. He almost seemed to like her more than Frederik, but Shan was more active and busy-also, her hair wasn't as good to cling to.

Shoving Leo in his pocket, they grabbed their coats and set off down the dirt path. Instead of going toward town, however, they slipped onto a side path heading into the forest.

Shan shivered and wrapped her cloak tighter around her as the sky darkened dramatically.

The forest didn't seem to have a particular name. It stretched on forever, supposedly. Their town-Othamkaa-was a tiny dot in a sea. Although, it wasn't completely alone. Many other towns sparkled the map, including Theefrai, Pocup, and Raltracahansa. The forest was so massive, that hardly anyone from different towns had ever seen each other, much less moved. Most people wouldn't dare, even if they could find them, under the High King's rule. His giant castle stood taller and wider than any village. Or, so it was said. No one alive had ever seen the High King's castle. Some people questioned if he existed at all.

The path was hardly visible in the dense foliage.

Thick leaves covered the ground, and the air smelled of rot and dirt.

Shan itched her ear absently. "Do you know, exactly, where we're going?"

Frederik looked at her sheepishly. "Not really...I mean, I know the general location!" He said quickly as her face fell.

Shan bit her lip. He could see a small scab there; where she bit it when she was nervous.

They walked on in silence, tromping through the muck and vines. The forest seemed to close in around them, and Shan shivered again.

"It's not that cold!" He said, exasperated. He loved her, but she always seemed to need something more!

She huffed. Her breath came out in a whisp, and Frederik looked at it, a little mesmerized. Sometimes he forgot that she was different at all. Legend had it that once upon a time, everyone breathed and everyone had a beating heart. There were no Lifeliners-at least not until Lifelines stopped being important.

"That stupid Snuffer! It's his fault. I'm always cold!"

Frederik reached over and touched her bare hand. It was still as cold as when he had found her. He shivered.

Shan stuck her tongue out, smiling. "Hippocrate."

He snorted, laughing hard, "Do you mean hypocrite?"

She stomped her foot. "You don't have to correct m....Woah...."

The sibling's jaws dropped. They had emerged in a beautiful clearing, more beautiful than they had ever seen. The grass was spring green, and huge Oak trees curved over it, forming a perfectly woven dome. Bright flowers in all the colors of the rainbow sprouted out everywhere. It looked as if Nature had vomited all over the clearing. In the center of it all, stood a large cottage. It was woven of living trees, curving to create the unnatural, stiff facade. It could've almost been a conjoined tree by itself, if not for the rose-pink door jutting out of the middle like a lopsided knothole.

Then they noticed the odd things. A hazy green smoke hung in the air, an old ax stuck out of a tree, and reddish-brown paint splattered the trees of the house. There were also the pods-dozens and dozens of pink pods growing from tangled plants. They weren't the only odd flowers, however. Frederik spotted a hiccuping daisy, and a bright blue flower with the head of a donkey was running around the clearing, barking horsley at the trees.

"Well!" Frederik laughed, "I can see why she lives out here!"

Shan didn't seem so happy. "Maybe this was a bad idea..."

He spun on her. "Would you rather die?"

She stepped back, stunned. Leo gave her a sad look and Frederik a smack on the head.

He started forward, pushing through the thick flowers. The air was layered in perfume, and...something he couldn't place. Kind of like a lot of animals penned up, but after rolling in laundry detergent.

Shan's nose wrinkled, and she reluctantly followed after.

As they reached the door, another smell hit her nose. Distinct rotten meat and sharp metal.

Frederik didn't seem to notice.

"Frederik...This doesn't seem right-"

He sighed, but pushed down his annoyance and turned around softly.

"What seems wrong?" He said gently.

Shan's eyes swiveled down.

"Nothing. You're right. It's fine."

A trickle of blood fell down her lip, and her brother winced, searching his pockets for a tissue.

She pushed his hand away. Both siblings looked down at the ground awkwardly.

The pink door slammed open, almost catching Shan's arm.

They both jumped back in surprise as a middle-aged woman stepped out. She was a pretty actress gone slightly to seed; little rolls of fat circled her stomach, her hair was unbrushed, and her fingernails were long. Many of the bright flowers from the field seemed to be growing in her dark-brown hair, but it gave her a rather pleasing smell. Little clip-on dog ears sprouted from where her ears were. To complete the look, the woman had a pink, puffy dress. The waist was wrapped with black twine.

Surprisingly, the outfit didn't look bad on her. In fact, it gave her a rather pleasing look.

"Darlins!" She squealed, stretching out her pudgy arms. "You've come home!"

Shan and Frederik exchanged an odd look. Unfortunately, the Rose Witch was their only hope.