Chapter 16

Collin pressed himself to the wall and did his very best not to think of the punishment for being caught spying on a secret meeting. He was also trying to ignore the voice screaming in his head about how insanely stupid this was. And it really, really was idiotic. But screw that.

Oddly, bringing himself to do it at all was the hardest part. The door to the Lofted Cabin Chambers was usually heavily protected, but then....

No one. Collin saw no one at all. Which was particularly odd considering the fact of the number of servants. But on a day that was going much too perfect to believe, Collin didn't let his guard down for a moment.

Scrunching up his face, he had just worked up enough courage to move when a voice so loud and angry it practically made the door slam open by itself echoed through the hall. Collin jumped so high he hit his head on the wall itself, and with a stiff yelp, he slipped and fell to the floor, arms waving ridiculously.

That was not a great start.

"The Machine...broke? How di....Wha...Get...Servant...GO!...Need...Evening!"

A different voice, one that sent a sharp shiver down his spine.

"Can't...Dance....Busy....Worked..."

Though, it was a little less effective with the muffling of the thick door.

"Stupid...Ball! Get....Worthless...32!"

Some part of him recognized, a second too late, that in most cases, the word 32 in that angry voice meant him.

Again, of course, he noticed that a moment after he should have.

"Ow!" Collin rubbed the back of his head. He swore that wall was going to have a servant-shaped mark soon enough.

Obviously, that should have been the very least of his worries.

"I did think i'd find you out here, Collin."

The only person in the entirety of the castle-or, atleast, anyone who was of any authority-who called him Collin was one of the very last people he wanted to see. Then, or any day.

"S-si-sir!" His voice trembled so much it sounded like a lawnmower. "I-I w-w-wa-was j-jus-"

His deep rumble of a laugh almost startled him further.

The thought suddenly came to Collin that maybe he should bow, but before any movement was made, the man's big hands clasped his shoulder and he stiffened considerably.

Collin peered up into his face. He was Hispanic, with a rather large nose and thin, pale lips. His wide forehead housed caterpillar-like eyebrows, both of which were raised. The slim mouth lifted on one side, and Collin recognized the look; as if every little syllable was perfectly hilarious.

Without his hood, the Snuffer would be unrecognizable to most. Except for maybe the sharp-tipped boots. The true purpose of those buckles was known only to a minute few, because the Snuffer didn't like the viewer....Then the tale wouldn't be told. Each buckle-each throwing star-was held with small ties that could be undone in seconds, far before the victim could understand that it really wasn't just fashion. At his hips were 3 pinchsacks, each holding a handful of Heilach.

"I was told to find you, Collin. My job wasn't that difficult, seeing as you were ready and waiting." Smiling sideways, he chuckled, "Saaaay...Collin...Why aaare you here?"

The Snuffer said it like he already knew the answer.

Of course, he did.

He took Collin's arm, grin spreading. All in all, his facial expression wasn't unpleasant, even though partially marred by a thick scar carving from his eyebrow to jaw. One of the things that had always confused Collin was the fact that it wasn't jagged or messy; it didn't ruin his features at all. More like it was deliberately cut, or just simply painted on.

"I....I wasn't-I wa-wasn't-I-its n-not wha-what...looks l-like!

"Of course not," the silky, satin words slipped down the boy's spine like molasses, making him want to shiver and calming him at the same time. The man traced his finger along his arm, and Collin decided on shivering. Yet, that didn't mean he particularly disliked the feeling. But his inner voice was definitely yelling something...Something he had forgotten? Or should do?

"You should come with me," The Snuffer continued, his dark hair tickling the boy's forehead.

"Of course..." He heard himself say. But...Wasn't there something else-? There wasn't time to remember, as the Snuffer pulled him onward, and seeing as it didn't come to him, it mustn't be particularly important.