Training

Gwen Reading's P.O.V. (D4)

Harper and I exit the elevator, walking into a large room filled with various stations and racks of training weapons. A buff guy is standing at the top of a small staircase talking to the rest of the tributes. I assume he has to be the Head Trainer. By the time we enter the group, he is talking about how we can use any station we like for as long as we want today. He tells us to train with weapons, but advises us to make sure we spare time for the survival stations. We're going to need it.

"And one more thing," he adds before leaving, "Please avoid arguments and fighting among one another. We can't have anyone getting hurt before the Games. Alright, now you may start your training."

As soon as the Head Trainer leaves, Harper runs over to the tributes from District Three. I can't believe he made allies so quickly. I thought it was going to be easier for me than him.

Just then, I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around to see the boy and girl from District Two standing in front of me. The girl has the lightest blonde hair I've ever seen. It almost looks white, and it reaches only to her shoulders. The boy is half a foot taller than me and looks pretty strong. Obviously the Careers.

"What do you want?" I ask.

The girl flicks her hair behind her shoulder, "You look like Career material to us. You think you've got what it takes?"

I grin, "Are you asking me to join?"

"What do you think we're doing?" the boy replies.

"Well in that case, I'm in!" I say and they just smile back. Then they both turn away and start talking to each other as they walk over to a station. I follow them.

"So are you going to wait until the private sessions to show off your skill?" the girl asks the boy.

"Yeah, I don't really need to practice it."

"Hey," I speak up, "You never really told me your names."

They look at each other in embarrassment. Then the boy introduces himself as Ace, but he says his friends call him 'Lucky Ace' sometimes. Then the girl says that her name is Elsa.

"I'm Gwen-"

"Hey!" a voice cuts me off, "What's up, Careers?"

Oh great. It's the little snobby girl from District One. I knew there was something irritating about the voice.

"What do you want, Kara?" Ace asks with a sigh, folding his arms over his chest.

Kara laughs as if it's a joke, "Isn't it obvious? I'm here because I'm a Career, like you losers."

"Yeah...if I remember correctly, we never actually agreed to let you join, so..." Elsa says, showing her disinterest, "We don't really want a twelve-year-old in the toughest alliance. Oh I have a great idea! How about you go play with the other tributes your age?! They'd love you."

"Not on your life, blondie," Kara says, planting her feet, "I'm with you guys, whether you like it or not, I'm staying!"

We all sigh, and Ace finally says, "Fine, but don't be surprised if we kill you in your sleep."

Dylan Harrison's P.O.V. (D8)

I frown in concentration as I practice tying a strange kind of knot. The string keeps getting tangled in my fingers and I can't seem to figure it out, so I walk to another station. I try to find a weapon that's appealing to me. Then I see the sword station. It can't get easier than that.

I spot Emma at the knife-throwing station that just so happens to be right next to the sword station. I have to talk to her at some point, but I'm still upset about her volunteering. Then I suddenly notice her talking to the two tributes from Twelve. I need allies, and it looks like Emma has already made some. Maybe now would be the best time to talk then.