Death Toll (Day Seven)

Harper Coyle's P.O.V. (D4)

The roaring of the waterfall drowns out any sounds that the wildlife of the forest is creating right now as Janice and I settle ourselves in for the night under a ledge beside the water. Janice is exhausted, not saying a word to me. She might be mad that I made her walk all day, but it was for her own good. If those mutts come back, now we'll be able to jump in the river and swim across, or just ride the current out of the forest.

"I guess I'll take watch first..." I offer, even though I would prefer getting some sleep. I didn't sleep at all last night because I was worried about the mutts, but now I'm just too tired to be concerned about them.

"No, I will," Janice corrects seriously, "You need to get some sleep."

"You sure?" I ask, but she just nods.

At that, I lie down and fall asleep almost instantaneously. I eventually hear the anthem playing, but I don't bother opening my eyelids. They feel too heavy anyways.

When the music dies, I quietly ask Janice who the deaths were.

"The first one was Scarlett Salasi. You know, the knife-throwing girl from Seven," she answers, "Then there was Fate Greenridge, District Ten."

"Hm...how'd they die?" I ask, trying to keep a conversation going until I fall asleep.

"Fate was killed by that crazy twelve-year-old from One, and Scarlett was killed by Wesley Carter. I think that's his first kill, right?"

"Dunno..." I mumble, my mind trailing off.

Slowly, the crashing of the waterfall and the bubbling of the running water manage to lull me into a deep slumber.

.•:~:•.

"Harper, Harper, wake up!" Janice's voice breaks into my dream, snapping me awake instantly.

It must be time for us to switch shifts already, but it only felt like I slept for a few minutes. I realize I must be wrong when I notice the urgency in her tone and body language. She's shaking me roughly and continues calling my name hastily.

"What? What is it?" I ask, looking around. In answer, I hear a faint howl over the thundering water.

Wolf mutts.

I snatch my pack and sling it over my shoulders, picking up my trident as well. Janice already has her red backpack and weapon and is standing up.

"Harper!" she screams loudly, pointing to something in the bushes several yards away.

I rush over to her, holding up my trident defensively, ready for anything to burst out of the bushes at any moment. I motion towards the river and start walk backwards cautiously. I hear Janice scream as she dives in.

I wait a few more seconds before jumping in after her. The moment I hit the white water, I am forced under by the pressure of the waterfall. I feel myself touch the bottom of the river and I kick off the ground, propelling me to the surface. The water is so dark I can't see anything. It being nighttime doesn't make the situation any easier.

I gasp in gulps of air when my head emerges at the surface. I shake my head to get the water out of my eyes so I can start looking for Janice.

I begin to panic when I don't see a sign of her anywhere. I call her name, but it's drowned out by the rushing water. As the current pushes me downstream, I spot something drifting a few feet ahead of me. I squint my eyes, trying to put a name to the object, but it's just far too dark to see.

Eventually, I catch hold of it, and immediately recognize it to be a pack. More specifically, a red one.

Janice had a red pack.