Day Four (Afternoon)

Stephen Refiek's P.O.V. (D3)

"I say, you stay here with Harper just in case he wakes up, and I'll go to the island to get a cure," Janice offers, sheathing her sword.

I shake my head, "What makes you think I'd agree to that? I'm going, and you'll stay here, end of story."

She looks like she's about to continue arguing for the position, but she must've realized that there was no way she could convince me to stay. Janice lowers her head with a sigh. Then she suddenly points her finger at me, giving me a stern look.

"You better not come back empty-handed."

"It'll be a miracle if I come back at all," I reply, before even thinking about it.

I could die in the next hour or so. But I need to get that cure if we want Harper to live. I'm not giving up on my friends.

"Promise you will," Janice asks.

"I promise I'll be back..." I vow, but I don't know if I believe it myself.

What if I actually don't make it? Am I willing to risk my life for my allies?

I think back to the tribute parade, when the Victor of the last Quarter Quell, Brenda Long, gave some advice that would probably help me right now. I remember her saying, "If you want to win, just take a moment to ask yourself how far you're willing to go, and how much you're willing to sacrifice. Because sacrifices will be made, and the unexpected should always be expected."

How far am I willing to go to win? I don't know. But how much I'm willing to sacrifice for my friends to win? Everything, even if it's my own life.

I took awhile to think about this last night, and I realized, Janice and Harper are probably the closest friends I've ever had. And we've only known each other for a short while. I feel like it all just clicked when we met. We're the perfect team, because we look out for each other, and that's the real thing that matters. No friend of mine will be left behind. I don't consider Janice and Harper allies...I consider them my friends.

Janice sniffles and rubs one of her eyes. Is she crying? Suddenly, she throws her arms around me and gives me a crushing hug. I don't know what else to do except pat her on the back lightly a few times. She finally pulls away and hands over my mace.

"I just want to thank you for being the best ally I could ever have...and a great friend," she sniffles again, "I wouldn't be here right now if it weren't for you and Harper."

"I probably wouldn't either without you guys," I say, then I throw a glance to the ocean, "I should probably get going..."

Janice nods, "Okay...Steve, make sure you get out of there as soon as you have the vial, no later."

I nod back at her, giving her a thumbs-up, "Got it."

Scarlett Salasi's P.O.V. (D7)

Ace, Fynn and I all prepare ourselves at the opening of the horn, waiting for the island to surface somewhere. I'm sure we'll be able to see it from where we are, since we have a pretty good vantage point. Ace secures his suped-up deck of cards to his belt, beside a few extra shurikens. Fynn throws his axe up in the air and catches it by the handle, then slips it into a holder on his back. I just grab a stack of throwing-knives and jam them into my pocket, being sure that I will be able to get them out easily at a moments notice.

"So you know what to do," Ace starts, and I can foresee him re-explaining our plan to us for the millionth time before he continues, "You two will be going around the opposite side of the island than me. We don't know how big the island is going to be, so we are going to need to get in at all angles. Kill any tributes you encounter. It's the perfect opportunity, and it's exactly what the Capitol wants to see. It's the whole reason for this infection in the first place-more action. If you don't run into anybody, just get on the island, find the vials, take them both, and get out of there. If you get to the cure first, be sure to send me the signal, just in case the island is too big and it takes me too long to find the cure. I'll come to your position once the signal is sent. Or vice versa. You got that?"